SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adevine

Stacking Wall Ovens with a French Door Oven

adevine
6 years ago

I have just run into a problem with a new kitchen in a new house. I purchased a GE Cafe French Door Oven with a GE Cafe Advantium Oven to be mounted together in a wall cabinet. My opinion is that to get the advantage of a french door oven, it should be mounted higher than an oven with a traditional door so that you don't have to bend over to take things out. The wall cabinet was made to build in the french door so that the bottom is 27" off the floor, with the advantium oven above it. Admittedly, this made the advantium oven rather high but I decided this was OK because it was the same height as my current over the range microwave. The bottom of the advantium is at 56" and the top is at 75". I can reach the top mounted controls without trouble. What I did not factor in is that my current over the range microwave is a side open door, while the advantium opens from the top down! Ugh!! I cannot reach inside without a stool or having my arms touch the door!

There are various options, but I'm not really liking any of them. One is to replace the advantium oven with a side open microwave. GE Cafe makes one but it's small with a big trim kit - doesn't look very classy in my opinion.

Another is to replace the advantium oven with a microwave from another manufacturer but then how can I be sure that the stainless will look OK together? It's actually hard to find built in microwaves to fit a 30" space and reviews sometimes comment that trim kits are plastic! Yuck!

With some cabinet modifications, I could move the french door oven up to counter height and put the advantium oven below it. The advantium oven will be used often as a microwave and I've never had an under-counter microwave (nor have I wanted one). Are they as bad as I think they are? I'm 5'7".

I would appreciate comments or ideas you may have to help me solve this problem! Thank you!

GE Cafe Built in Microwave

GE Cafe Advantium Oven

GE Cafe French Door Oven

Frigidaire Professional Built in Microwave

Comments (21)