SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blazedog37

Bathroom Tile Maintenance

Helen
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I am doing a gut remodel of my master bathroom and am wondering how difficult it is to maintain a tile floor.

It's going to be a period style bathroom so the iconic white octagonal tiles with black tile border or other design element would be the way to go on the bathroom floor. I think white with a black design from a color point of view is fine - I shudder at the thought of maintaining a black or dark colored floor which would show every bit of makeup powder :-)

Will these type of tiles be a nightmare to keep clean - I don't have anal compulsive standards but I can't see scouring the floor with a toothbrush. :-) I have no experience with tile as my bathroom is the cheapo fiberglass tub/shower installation with no tile work - the counters are that cultured marble stuff which is fugly but surprisingly easy to maintain and the floors are some kind of vinyl tile (wouldn't be surprised if they were asbestos tile given the age of the building). Obviously I grew up with tile bathrooms and kitchens but had no housekeeping chores that involved keeping the tiles spiffy.

I've already vetoed a more period style toilet with those curlicues at the bottom in favor of the Toto Karolina which is entirely smooth and less of a schmootz catcher :-)

My designer told me small tile floors with grout provide more of a slip proof surface - and safety in the bathroom is a prime concern since I am doing it with a view to aging in place - also replacing the current tub/shower combo with a walk in shower, albeit one with a curb.

Thanks for any insight

Comments (5)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012