SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emilyinmb

new vinyl floor and old marble baseboards - remove? cover? paint?

emilyinmb
6 years ago

I want to cover marble floors with luxury vinyl flooring. (Don't bother trying to talk me out of it.) Issue is the baseboards are also marble and I don't know how to deal with that. Options are:

1) remove and replace with new baseboards (not marble)

1. remove and put back -- off white/gray/taupe marble similar to Carrara, with white Aspen oak,

3) leave baseboards in place and use quarter round or shoe molding to cover the necessary 1/2 gap --- but how to attach? I have read that gluing is not a good idea)

4) use some other baseboard cover like a 7" fake baseboard extension --- but how to attach? It might go well because the living space has crown molding, but my preference is very modern.

Please advice. Thanks

PS. Yes, I want to cover it! The open floor plan has 4 different types of marble. It's old 12 x 12 with dirty grout lines that cannot be guaranteed to clean up. Some tiles are cracked. Patches were made with "similar" tiles. Re-finishing is expensive and being by the beach it would have to be refinished every couple of years. It is cheap marble that scratches by looking at it. All the patina is gone and is porous. If my generation ripped out carpeting to get at "gorgeous" wood floors underneath, my children can rip out cheap vinyl to get at the "gorgeous" old marble!

Comments (26)