SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
m_ridzon

Cuttings to Propagate Cherry Tree

Matthew Ridzon
6 years ago

I'm new to the forum, so I hope I'm in the right spot. I live in NE Ohio. I have a cherry tree in my yard that I'm trying to propagate with cuttings. I've tried several times, but each time the cuttings die. I tried last spring, last summer, and last fall. Each time, I took multiple 4-6" cuttings from young branches. I use sterile clippers. I fill a small pot 50/50 with sphagnum peat moss and perlite. I moisten the mixture and indent the middle with my finger. After dipping the end of the cutting in rooting hormone, I place it in the pot and lightly tamp down the soil mixture. I set on my kitchen counter out of direct sunlight and faithfully water twice a day. After a few weeks, leaves have begun falling off and the cutting looks questionable. I ride it out though for a few months, hoping this is just part of the process. Finally I will lightly dig out the soil mixture to check for roots and find nothing; i.e., it's dead.

I do not have a green thumb by any means, but I thought this was a fairly straightforward process that I could pull off. I'm looking for any tips about what I can do for a better chance of success. I'm wondering if I should take a cutting now in wintertime. But the tree has no leaves currently, so I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (41)

• bernard_in_ohio_Medina_Zone_5b
    6 years ago

Hello, Matthew --

I'm in Northeastern OH, too -- Medina. Hello, neighbor! I have about 50 fruit trees growing in containers (because i'm too old and impatient to amend the clay. Plus, it turns out that I find container gardening a lot more fun than scrambling around in the dirt.). I bought them all -- and they are mainly different varieties of tart cherries -- from mail order nurseries in the northern part of the country. Every single one of the nurseries I have bought from say that their plants are grown by "tissue culture." I gather it's a somewhat exacting procedure, and it's used because cuttings don't work. So anyway, google tissue culture, is my suggestion. Maybe it's very do-able at home.

Bernard

• Ken "Fruity Paws" (N-Va 7a)
    6 years ago

You can graft cherry. You need rootstock though. I had a big cherry tree (it got canker and died). That tree rootstock while the tree was healthy actually did put up shoots. Several times on big root of the rootstock to air and sun, it produced a shoot. so that is an option. Or you can just purchase cherry rootstock from some online nurseries.

• Related Discussions

Propagating Pachira Aquatica (Money Tree) by Cutting

Q

Comments (10)
    Thanks for the info Josh! I actually ordered the miracle grow seed and stem starter mix. Seemed like an all in one solution rather than having to deal with Pete Moss. I also have 4 inch containers with drainage trays. I have a few follow ups if you don't mind: -When cutting branches with leaves, my plant has very small gaps in between nodes. If the distance between nodes is an inch or so, if I cut that space directly in half, will the plant be ok? -I have read in some places that the cutting should be made horizontally (at a 45 degree angle to the growth) to enlarge the surface area that can create roots? -I have also read you should cut the shoot, then dip it in hormone, then let it sit out for 24 hours one a paper towel....do you recommend this practice? -Regarding watering, the soil should just be damp correct? Or should I fill up the drain tray so it's full of water and then plant the shoot above the water line? That way, less maintenance?
    ...See More

Propagating apple tree from root cuttings?

Q

Comments (3)
    Most trees root best with cuttings taken in spring just before sprouting, but there are exceptions. Like grapes, apples root better in winter. In fact, I have often had cuttings from winter pruning that fell to the ground and the cut end in the soil, missed when picking up after that rooted. They were 2-3' long. I have two bonsai apples 16 years old that started that way. In our wet climate, they are kept wet enough to make it through winter and sprout in spring, but you might have to keep them watered. Rooting hormone will increase your chances of success. If you are working on root stock for an orchard, I hope you are young!
    ...See More

Propagating fig trees from cuttings progress

Q

Comments (4)
    I've accumulated some aquarium lights over the years that I place over a sheet of clear plexiglass I purchased from Home Depot on a storage bin or an old aquarium. I leave a gab on one side to regulate the humidity. I also hang an old wet towel on one side for humidity and dampen as needed. The cups also sit on some plastic grating that is used in drop ceiling fluorescent lighting so they don't sit in water. They are easy to cut to fit the container you use.
    ...See More

Propagating Hative d'Argenteuil Fig tree cuttings

Q

Comments (0)
    ...See More
  • Kevin Reilly
    6 years ago

burnt ridge has cherry rootstock if you want to graft

• rphcfb14
    6 years ago

There was an old thread here titled Rooting Peach and Nectarine Cuttings. A gentleman with a handle name Alcedo, wrote about his success rooting peach and nectarine cuttings. You can google that thread and check it out.

No one has posteda about cherry cuttings yet. You need some experience. If you don’t have skills or patience, you’d better off buying rootstocks and graft them with as many varieties as you wish.

• ztom
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Some plants like grapes can root from hardwood cuttings, but I would think rooting cherries like that would be difficult. Air-layering MIGHT be easier, but grafting onto a cherry rootstock would be easiest. Grandpa's Orchard also carries cherry rootstocks. I've succesfully grafted a Jubileum, Balaton, Balck Tartarian and a Gold cherry so far. The Jubileum might produce this year. I'm probably going to try air-layering a Canadian plum this summer but I'm not all that optimistic about the outcome. BTW, I'm also from NE Ohio and like Bernard, I have several tart cherries planted. Carmine Jewel and Montmorency are doing the best so far. Also, Lapins has done well for a sweet cherry.

6 years ago

I forgot all about grafting! The only time I've considered it was last year, when every single cherry tree that was ready to fruit (for the first time, of course) was destroyed by voles. To protect the trees from the weather, I'd placed the containers right next to each other in a big square and put straw bales around the perimeter. All I needed was a sign: "Voles dine here." In February 2017, after I'd noticed the damage and paused to scream and shake my fist at the heavens, I considered grafting. Wasn't even possible. The voles had stripped off the bark from about 5" up the trunks all the way down to the roots. The trees were toast.

Fruity Paws, so sorry to hear about the canker.

So, cherry people, does anyone use anything routinely as a preventive every spring? Copper spray? Don't commercial growers use it every spring? I'm a little afraid of it. Sounds really toxic. So far (I've only been growing since 2015), I've only used neem oil and diatomaceous earth. My luck has been good with just those two. However, regular application -- once a week is good, I find -- is essential. Also, I put on a layer of dormant oil before bud break. Today would be good.

What does everybody routinely apply as a preventive? Should I do anything along with neem and DE? Substitute either or both with something else?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

"Copper spray? Don't commercial growers use it every spring? I'm a little afraid of it. Sounds really toxic."

It is considered an organic pest control and approved for certified organic growers. In the grand scheme of things, a copper fungicidal spray is pretty darn benign!!

• Matthew Ridzon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks everybody for the tips. I guess I thought this was going to be easier than I initially thought. All the online websites infer that cuttings are easy to do. Perhaps that's not the case though. It looks like I should probably consider grafting into a rootstock. I'll check out that idea. Or maybe I'll just look at buying a cherry sapling from a nursery.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 years ago

The ease of propagation via cuttings depends very much on the species. Many are indeed a cinch but I'd be surprised if you found a website which specifically stated that cherry was easy from cuttings. Watering twice a day is excessive for any cutting. Your chances might improve if you cover the cuttings with a plastic bag to retain humidity. But it's a long shot.

• Matthew Ridzon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I watered faithfully twice a day. Admittedly, they seemed like they could be too moist, but I figured that was needed for them to form a root system. I did not use a plastic bag, but maybe that would help. Is there any sense in taking cuttings now from the parent tree during the frigid winter? It has no leaves, so I don't know if it's a good idea.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 years ago

Twice a day is far too much. As is twice a week. Try twice a month. The cuttings have no roots so where is all that water going to go? Under a plastic bag watering is barely needed at all til roots form. Now is an ideal time to take hardwood cuttings. But cherry is not a common or easy subject for cuttings so it's all going to be in the lap of the gods.

• Matthew Ridzon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'll give this one more shot and take some cuttings now. I understand my chances are low, but I don't really have much to lose. I think I'll use a milk jug or 2 liter pop bottle. Does it matter if it is clear or opaque? And can I leave them set on my countertop out of direct sunlight, or should I tuck them away somewhere in darkness?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 years ago

Clear or opaque doesn't matter but it must have drain holes. Light not dark. I've never even tried cherry so this us all based on what works on much easier subjects. You could try some outdoors too.

• Matthew Ridzon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Drain holes? What exactly do you mean? I was going to cut the top off of a pop bottle, invert it, and set it atop the pot/cutting where the cutoff end of the bottle would return the moisture into the soil. Then I assumed the moisture would just work through a cycle in the bottle, constantly returning the moisture to the soil. Is my understanding correct or were you referring to some other drain holes?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 years ago

Oh, I see. I thought you meant you were growing in the pop bottles, not under them.

• Matthew Ridzon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I took 2 cuttings last weekend. It had been raining for hours so I imagine the tree was in a vibrant condition. I shaved off the bark from the bottom of the cuttings and applied rooting hormone. I placed them in 50/50 moistened peat moss and perlite. I inverted a plastic bottle over them to retain the heat/moisture. I'm happy to report that they appear to be doing something. The tiny buds on the cuttings are opening slightly. I assume this is a good thing and will continue to watch their progress. I'll water them every 2 weeks. <fingers crossed>

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 years ago

The opening buds don't necessarily indicate that they're rooting so don't be tempted to pull them up to look. Roots will take a lot longer, if indeed they develop. Think in terms of weeks, not days. Or even months. I'd also do a lot more than two to increase your chances.

• Matthew Ridzon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Nope, I'm definitely not pulling them up to check roots. I understand they take a lot longer. But I guess I was just sharing the fact that they're not dead at the moment. Haha! I really can't do many cuttings at once although I'm sure my chances would be much better. I just don't have all the resources to tackle this on a large scale. So I just piddle around with a couple and hope for the best.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 years ago

I don't quite understand when you say you don't have all the resources. If you have the plant material you can stick multiple cuttings into the same pot. Up to 10 or 12. If they root they can be separated out later.

• Matthew Ridzon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I only have two 4" pots and limited counter space where they reside in my kitchen. But I'll see about adding some more cuttings to the pots I have.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 years ago

You could put 6 in each 4" pot. Do you have bottom heat?

• Matthew Ridzon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I already have a cutting in the center of each pot. Would I risk ruining their progress by tampering with them and adding other cuttings?

Bottom heat? I don't understand what you mean by that.

• Matthew Ridzon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yesterday, I added cuttings to my two pots. Each pot now has 5 cuttings. They are kind of crammed in there but not too bad. I watered them well and am waiting to see how things progress. <fingers crossed>

6 years ago

Hi, Matthew --

Way back there I said all my cherries are from tissue culture. That was wrong. A lot of them were grafted -- hmm, maybe the scion came from tissue culture and then later grafted to rootstock. Whatever.

Just writing to say, keep up the good work.

Bernard

• Matthew Ridzon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

See the attached photo of my pot with 5 cuttings. The center cutting appears to have fuzz growing on it (blue circled areas). It so happens this this cutting was planted 1 week ahead of the others, so its the oldest. My other pot of 5 cuttings also has the same issue on its oldest cutting. I'm not sure if its mold or not. I only water every 2 weeks, so I don't think that's excessive. I have a pop bottle (with top cut off) inverted over top the cuttings to retain moisture in the environment for the cuttings. Does anybody know what the fuzz is? Is it bad? How do I deal with it?

• Konrad..just outside of Edmonton Alberta
    6 years ago

Hard to see, need close up picture, could be mold but also could be wooly aphids..almost impossible to root.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 years ago

Squash a bit of the fuzz with your fingers. Mold won't have a mushed insect body in it. I agree that successfully rooting cherry is a very tall, indeed almost impossible, order. But there are ways of improving the odds and that's what I've been trying to convey.

• party_music50
    6 years ago

The white stuff looks like mold to me (i.e., not powdery mildew, not wooly aphids). I sometimes see that happen on cuttings that are kept too wet and without any air circulation.... Like wood does when it's kept in high humidity.

When I get out to do some pruning, I will try taking some cherry cuttings just for kicks. I'm no expert but I've been gardening and propogating for a lot of years and here's what I'll do:

I never use a clay pot for cuttings... Too porous and makes it difficult to control moisture. I'd use 4" plastic pots, one cutting per pot. I use moistened Pro-mix, make the center planting hole, take a fresh cutting (angled cut) and dip the end in water and then in rooting hormone before placing the cutting in the hole and then firming the soil. I would never shave the bark! Poor thing. Lol. I place the pot inside a clear plastic bag (I use gallon-size/bread bags) and water until fully saturated, but no standing water. Then I bring the bag up over the entire pot/cutting and gather around a piece of drinking straw (allowing some air exchange) and secure with a twist-tie. Done. Except for the waiting. :)

• party_music50
    6 years ago

Re dealing with that mold -- you can leave it uncovered for awhile and see if it dries up. Or you can remove the molded cuttings.

• Matthew Ridzon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you, I've heard loud and clear that what I'm attempting is nearly impossible. It's not like I have much to lose though except a little time and effort to snip the branches from the parent and slap them in a pot and water them every so often. So it's kind of like a little science experiment for me and I'm enjoying it. Along the way, I'm seeking bits of knowledge from you all, who likely know more than me, rather than constant scorn for trying the impossible.

I'll try a couple of the suggestions for the fuzz and see what happens.

• Jason (Zone 10b, San Diego)
    6 years ago

Yes, probably mold caused by the humid conditions under the soda bottle. You need to keep the cuttings moist (humid), but every couple of days, lift up the humidity dome to refresh the air. This helps with reducing mold. I do not recall what people use to get rid of the mold - a dilute peroxide spray? Look it up before doing this!

I've had a hard time with my fig cuttings as they dry out and die on me after producing roots and a few leaves. Still working on my technique!

• Matthew Ridzon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hmm, I dug around about peroxide. In doing so, I learned a little about "barking" that can be confused as mold. Would this be possible? Like I mentioned, I only see this on the two cuttings that are 1 week older. The other 8 cuttings have none (yet). If it was mold due to excessive humidity, I might expect mold to show on all cuttings, correct?

Yes, I'm going to lift the dome every couple days to refresh the air. Great idea! Thanks!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 years ago

No idea what 'barking' is. Can you give a link? Seems to me the most likely explanation is mould, nothing more complicated.

• Matthew Ridzon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/saving-cutting-from-mold-pastiliere-dsvw-vd~1881083

It's a long thread. Search keyword "barking" and find comments by "danab_z9_la" stating that barking is often confused as mold.

I also found the following for hydrogen peroxide advice. Therein, the last post mentions about a tablespoon or two per gallon of water to lightly water the potting soil mix. https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/782392/#b

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

If there is anything to be gained from that thread to which you link is that you should read and can accept as truth anything that Al (tapla) has to say. He is extremely knowledgeable and experienced in container gardening and is also a bit of an authority on bonsai and by default, striking cuttings. He is extremely well educated and published in various hobby and industry publications. The rest of the info from other contributors that may contradict his advice you can toss out as being self-serving nonsense.

The term 'barking' is just barking mad :-) What is on your tree is mold. Period.

• Matthew Ridzon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Haha! Fair enough!

I'll mix up a small mixture of hydrogen peroxide and moisten the soil soon. And I'll lift the dome for a short while to air out the environment.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 years ago

Well I finally found the expression 'barking'. I have no idea what that guy is on about and it's not a term I've ever seen anywhere else. And he's talking about figs which are easy to grow from cuttings and nothing like cherries. Forget it. And forget the chemicals. Just give the cuttings some fresh air.

• Matthew Ridzon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Should I wipe away the existing fuzz with a tiny toothbrush (I would sterilize the brush first in a bleach solution) or let nature whisk it away?

• ztom
    6 years ago

Just out of curiosity, do you know what kind of cherry tree this is? I'm guessing it must have some special qualities that you want to preserve.

• Matthew Ridzon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I do not know what kind of cherry tree it is, but it is the only cherry tree I have. My wife and I love how gorgeous it is in the spring when it blooms. So we'd like to have more in our yard. And since it's a cheap, fun science experiment, we decided to try propagating the tree we have.