SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newbie_roselover

John Clare (my new garden continued)

Here's another rose from my new garden (especially for Marlorena who was interested in him!) He was planted last Nov, which was the start of our summer here in Oz - so has been in the ground about 4 months now.

John Clare wasn't on my original "Want" list when I went to the rose nursery but then I saw him and fell in love! :-) With his colour, that is. Such a gorgeous deep rose pink - it really stood out against all the pale, pastel colours of many of the other DA roses. I also like the fact that he looks very "different" - he's really tall & upright & slim (VERY handy when you have a tiny garden like me with very narrow beds) and his leaves are distinctly more round in shape and quite dainty - he's a nice contrast to the other bushes.

Here he is when I first brought him home (early Nov 2017)...

All the roses were at the end of their first (spring) flush when I bought them so I got the bonus of blooms immediately in the garden :-)

Here he is a couple of weeks after I'd deadheaded him. He immediately started putting out new growth & buds (1st week of Dec 2017)

And here's his second flush... (last week of Dec 2017)

I LOVE the shape of his flowers when they first open - such a beautiful cupped shape, even though they are quite loose. They only last a day or two, though, which is a shame. But new blooms keep coming so I don't mind so much. They also fade to such a beautiful soft deep pink colour...

I think the the colour looks nicer in shade/soft morning or afternoon light. In the bright sun, the colour is more fuchsia and can look a bit garish...

To be honest, though, none of the roses look good photographed in bright sunshine - the light is so strong that it reflects back and there's a horrible glare...

After the 2nd flush, he also started growing big basal canes - you can see one shooting up in the picture above. All the canes grew very straight & upright, without any staking.

Here is his 3rd flush - there weren't as many blooms and it was mostly the cluster at the top of the longest new cane.

He does tend to bloom mostly at the top, rather than all over the bush but that doesn't bother me in my garden since it's really small and crammed with lots of plants (as you can see - haha!) and I'm pleased he's tall & blooming at the top as it makes him easier to see when looking across the garden...

(last week of Jan 2018)

As you can see, he's remained very narrow & upright as well, which I'm really pleased about! Most of my beds are very narrow - this middle bed is only about 1 metre wide - so it's great that I don't have to worry about him flopping out over the edges (like PAOK does in her bed!) He's a very "neat" rose :-)

(by the way, can you see the rose against the fence in the photo of John Clare when he was first planted? That was Pierre de Ronsard (Eden) back in Nov... and look at him in the photo above!! He'd grown to cover half of that fence - I didn't realise how much he'd grown until I was sorting these pictures and noticed him in the background!)

John Clare is now covered in buds again and gearing up for a 4th flush. I've heard him described as the "most floriferous" of the David Austins... I don't know if that's true for me. I think my Lady of Shalott's are probably the most floriferous - since coming home, they've always got at least one bloom and are continually covered in buds - but John Clare does seem to keep putting on new growth & buds, with no rest in between.

I love his new growth - it's a really beautiful burgundy red and I find that it's so vivid that it's almost as good as having flowers in the garden! :-)

This was taken yesterday evening...

So far, I'm really pleased that I got John Clare - I especially love his colour. In a sunny garden like mine, it's nice to have a deep, saturated colour that doesn't fade or look like a white blur from afar (all the paler blooms have this problem). His only big drawback is lack of scent... and his flowers blow quickly. I haven't even attempted to cut them & bring them in for arrangements. He does seem to do very well in the heat, though. He's in the hottest part of the garden and gets full sun from 8am to 4pm+ and he never wilts and his blooms don't burn. And no disease at all (although in sunny, dry Perth, fungal diseases aren't generally an issue, I think)

I think he's perfect for a small suburban garden with narrow beds or if you have a corner where you need a really slim rose that grows upright and remains "polite" :-) Of course, I've only had him 4 months so maybe it's too early to comment! Maybe I'll be moaning in a year's time as he flops all over the place - haha!

Also, I'm aware that I'm very new to roses and so my standards are probably very low - LOL. I'm delighted if they bloom at all and don't mind what shape the bushes grow in, etc - so maybe what I think is "great" probably isn't "good enough" to more experienced rose growers. But anyway, I'm enjoying my garden - I'm not fussy as long as there's lots of colour and different plants growing & blooming everywhere! :-)

~ HY

Comments (15)