SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jazz3_gw

Composite Decking....continued...(John - Ken - Gorilla - Deckman)

Jazz3
17 years ago

More time has passed and new and improved products have rolled out. Anyone with updated info care to comment?

I am confronted with making a decision on replacing a large volume of decking at a shore property in South Jersey. Whatever we do will be gray.

I initially made a decision to use Weatherbest since I found mostly positive comments here and based on research I did before using it at my home. I installed approx 950 sq ft of it at my primary home which has held up pretty well into it's second season.

We used the redwood color. It did develop some light grey cast in places, and some surface scratching, but it has a better overall appearance than other neighbors who built from Timber Tech and Trex. Those brands had much more color shift and uneven discoloration.

Our contractor in New Jersey just said the local building supply stopped carrying Weatherbest because of complaints of it turning "purple". I have seen this with the darker Timber Tech color but not with the Weatherbest.

Seeking some input (Cast of experts above?) on observations of what composites have held up best 5+ years and if you have had any real life experience with ProCell PVC decking. It seems to be more like the AZEK trim material being used all over the beaches than the other more "plastic" decking I have seen (Eon). Will cost approx $2,600 more to substitute Procell for the Latitudes decking(Retail form of Veranda - Home Depot's product)which is what he said he typically uses.

Using a wood product at the beach requires more maintenance as the salt air really beats up the material or finish. It seems like a routine cleaning of PVC decking and vinyl (or composite) rails would be easier. I am learning that it is more fun to be there and not have to work on the house...The roof was just replaced and this work is being done before new siding goes on.

I liked the Weatherbest - The Latitudes was very similar to Fiberon. Very dense, but with a speckling effect that looked "fake". Someone else said Boardwalk is not mold resistant, Choicedeck has a new version that looks more like solid vinyl.... I almost used the Trex accents at home, but it was really thick and seemed softer than the WB. There must be one of these that stands out as "better" than the others by now?

Comment (1)

• pressurepros
    17 years ago

I agree with you about using a composite in that atmosphere. I have a home in Ocean City that is right on the beach and it has a wooden deck as well as a wooden porch. It does take a beating. What shore are you at? If you are in Ocean City I am at 54th & Central.