SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
posierosie_zone7a__

Post your Spring blooms here!

Hi Everyone,

There have been indications that those in zone 8 are seeing buds on their bulbs! If you have something blooming to share, share it here!

Comments (182)

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Beautiful SandySlopes! Love the open flowers on American Dreams.

• David (N.E. Georgia, zone 8a)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Posierosie & SandySlopes.

Love the photo's. Really nice. I have tried tulips with no success. I put this off to not enough sun for them. They did only ok the 1st year and went down hill from there so I gave up on them. Also I just don't have time to dig them up and replant every year.

Here is a couple of surprise blooms this year. My wife hut had to have them in the back yard so she could see them, the problem is that it's totally in the shade once the leaves come out. Well here it is three years later and some of them did have flowers this year. There is a smaller purple and white Isis which I didn't get pictures of which you can see in the background.

Here's another I thought was really nice this year. Not a bulb so please forgive me.

My Mt. Laurel

posierosie_zone7a thanked David (N.E. Georgia, zone 8a)
  • Related Discussions

WANTED: Spring Trade-please post trades here.

Q

Comments (8)
    Ok My trades so far are *Wayne-coffee cups ee,yellow flag,granadilla passiflora for Black magic,maisenhair bloodroot. *Michelle(Lynn's daughter) Calliandra,Pink Beauty brugmansia,Blue btterfly bush for hardy orchis,cigar plant,toad lily. *Bricore-Fig,lady banks rose & other perrenials for tamarillo,way ahead tomato & soap. * Beth-lady banks rose & other for things she's already sent me. *Todd-Lenton rose & lamium for japanese anemone,Lady in Red salvia & Summer sun heliopsis. * Jill Pee gee hydrangea for daylily *Linda- parrot's feather for mayapple. I think I got every body so far. Susan I'd like pennsetum-Moudry & oxalis with purple leaf & white bloom if you can find anything on my page. I added more to my list tonight so everybody check it out & email me! I need to move a lot so I can get more! LOL Jan
    ...See More

Post your mislabeled blooms here

Q

Comments (7)
    I know how you feel, Xuan. I ordered Candy Floss from them but received something else. I did contact them and they offered a replacement bulb but that also was not Candy Floss. The bulbs also had stagonospora curtisii, and it spread to my other amaryllis in the vicinity. I've been trying to fight it back with my fungicide and am hoping it'll be fully eradicated by next spring.
    ...See More

Spring Fling, where are the pictures? Please post them here

Q

Comments (14)
    hehe!!! I think this was maybe the only moment Brent was away from Tigerdawn's cookie......rumor is he's severely addicted to yummy chocolate chip cookies. (and he's still skinny!!! How the heck does that work?) and there's Tree behind him to his left...and isn't that Terra (with her perfectly organized seed files!) just slightly behind his right? SEE? You guys just thought I wasn't paying attention! Paula
    ...See More

Post your Spring pictures!

Q

Comments (78)
    Such pretty tulips, Sandy! Isn't it sad to see them ending! Like Katob said, I wish my tulips would return and multiply as well as my daffodils. In spite of its quick fading, I truly appreciate the beauty and placement of your camassias, Katob! That is a lovely picture and blooms of the blue camassias. I gave some camassias a try this year and am not impressed. This will be my last purchase of camassias. They probably perform better in the northwest where they are native. Between the blue and white ones that i got last year, the white ones are definitely better for me than the blue ones.
    ...See More
  • posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I love the flowers on the Mt Laurel!

• KarenPA_6b
    5 years ago

I agree with posierosie! Those sprays are super gorgeous! Does it also have a nice scent? Do they make good cut flowers?

posierosie_zone7a thanked KarenPA_6b
    5 years ago

Karen,

The smell is wonderful! We have a creek on two sides of us and they are covered with them. We have never tried to do cut flowers with them.

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

David, it must be amazing near your creek right now!

There's a storm coming (finally, some rain!), so I took a few pictures incase the flowers didn't appreciate.

Texas Gold Tulip -Yellow parrot tulip. Very late blooming. Barcelona tulips (pink) behind are almost completely done. I'm totally in love.

Line in front of garden.

I have allium starting to bloom, but not photo worthy yet. I think they appreciated the extra fertilizer last year and I have more buds than in the past.

• KarenPA_6b
    5 years ago

Thanks David. Can you tell me if the blooms last long on the tree? Wonder if it is hardy up here in PA?

Wow, that is a great yellow parrot tulip! I would love to add them to my spring garden next year. That bright yellow is so cheerful. They would be really nice if they bloom after my yellow daffs fade

5 years ago

Posierosie, The tulips are a sight to behold, very nice! It does make you feel great seeing all your hard work pay off.

Karen. not sure how long each bloom last's, the trees/bushes have been bloomed for about a month now and and are still very visible from anywhere on my place. Not sure what the requirements are for them other than I think they like water and high open shade but that's only my guess. Also some years they bloom better than others.

• nilaa_7a
    5 years ago
    Here's mine
    posierosie_zone7a thanked nilaa_7a
  • nilaa_7a
    5 years ago
    some more..
  • mazerolm_3a
    5 years ago

Nilaa these are absolutely gorgeous!! May I ask which plants are pictured in your first post?

posierosie_zone7a thanked mazerolm_3a
  • nilaa_7a
    5 years ago
    Thank you. These are double tulips. soft pink 'Angelique' is the one in the first picture. purple is either blue spectacle or blue diamond.
  • posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

What a beautiful display. Love the double tulips. I haven't planted myself and appreciate seeing how they do for you. Does Angelique start off white aand then develop the pink?

• posierosie_zone7a thanked Keely Line z8a north texas
  • nilaa_7a
    5 years ago
    beautiful flowers Keeley.
    yes poise it's starts with white and turns to pink. I like the color change. I wish this will come back next year.
  • katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    5 years ago

nilaa those are fantastic. I tell people I like the grace and elegant shape of the single tulips but deep down inside I love the messy parrots and fluffy doubles just as much.

Keely I'm a little jealous of the dahlias, it will still be at least a week or two before I even plant mine and there yours are flowering already!

We had some hot, windy weather and in two days it melted many of the daffodils and tulips.... sigh....

Obviously I don't grow many vegetables in my vegetable garden :)

the hot winds wilted many of the tulip petals

but even beat up, they're still colorful

and a non-tulip, Arisaema sikokianum aka snow rice-cake plant. It's a Jaanese relative of our native jack in the pulpit and it apparently enjoyed all the rain we got last year (as opposed to its normally too-dry existence)

posierosie_zone7a thanked katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    5 years ago

Katob, I really like your garden. In my opinion it's much better than a vegetable garden.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    5 years ago

thanks David. Also on the plus side, vegetables are a lot of work and our farmer's market can be downright cheap!

posierosie_zone7a thanked katob Z6ish, NE Pa
  • sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    5 years ago

nilaa, beautiful tulips. I love the double flowering peony style, but they don't come back for me very well, so I gravitate towards others. But they sure put on a show! Nice Tahiti? daffs as well.

Keely, nice dahlias. I used to grow them when I lived in z9 so they could stay in the ground all year long. Awesome passion flower, so detailed.

katob, gorgeous! What a big variety of bulbs you have all blooming at once. I really like that you're able to show a big picture of your yard and hope one day to have mine cleaned up enough in spring to do that. ....Not today, lol.

species tulips 'Tubergen's Gem'. I posted these before but wanted to show how long they last. They're small but stick around longer than other tulips. I have them dotted around the front in small clusters.

Some of my oldest tulips planted in 1996. They were bouquet style but became singles. It shows with sandy soil, a slope, and good drainage some tulips last a long time. Surprises me that a few oldies continue to show up.

Lily flowering tulips, 'Red Shine' up on the hillside.

Lily flowering tulips 'Mona Lisa'.

NEW to me, tulip 'Silver Parrot'. I wish I knew if they were going to come back every year because I already want to plant more of this type. Quite showy!

posierosie_zone7a thanked sandyslopes z6 n. UT
  • KarenPA_6b
    5 years ago

Wow, what a great show, Katob! I can't believe that I am looking at a home garden! It looks more like a public garden! I am so sorry that the weather shortened your bulb blooms. I know how much work you have put into it and it sure is frustrating when the weather does not cooperate.

Sandy, love you Silver Parrot! Such a beautiful pink color. If they are offered this fall, I may have some blooms to share next spring! :)

• windberry zone5a BCCanada
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Old fashioned Tulips growing in my edible garden in zone 5a just ready to open

Primroses in full bloom

More Tulips

posierosie_zone7a thanked windberry zone5a BCCanada
  • gl0ssy (Ontario zone 5b)
    5 years ago

Love all these spring blooms !!

heres all I got going on so far

Iceland poppy

And a double tulip from today , I’m waiting for the rest to start showing me some love

posierosie_zone7a thanked gl0ssy (Ontario zone 5b)
  • KarenPA_6b
    5 years ago

Windberry, I like your large clump of pretty tulips in the veggie garden! Are primoses hard to grow? Are they hardy? Do you grow them from seeds?

GlOssy, hope you will post more of your flowers as they bloom. Do you grow Icelandic poppies from seeds or are they perennials that come back year after year?

5 years ago

Hey KarenPA, I would be glad to ! :-)

As for the iceland poppies, i did not grow them from seed and they are new in my garden this year. From what I have heard from others is that they are perennial and self seed freely and come up year after year, I cannot confirm but I sure hope it's true! I have read mixed things about growing them from seed so I just bought them as perennials instead. I also have some oriental poppies planted as well but they aren't doing much yet

• nilaa_7a
    5 years ago
    Karen primroses are pretty hardy in zone 7A. the ones I planted last year as a plant, came back. I am planning to buy more this season...
    my double tulips in its last days for this season and some Irises...
  • Ann
    5 years ago

Sensation lilac (zone 5b)

posierosie_zone7a thanked Ann
    5 years ago

My lilacs haven’t bloomed yet but I can’t wait for that glorious smell

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Beautiful pictures everyone! I've been a *tiny* bit distracted by my local plant swap (it was amazing!), but I have sincerely been enjoying all your fabulous photos. Lots of inspiration and beautiful plants and gardens!

• KarenPA_6b
    5 years ago

Thanks Nilaa for the primrose info. I saw them on sale at Bluestone Perennials but wasn't sure if they would be hardy. I would love to get some yellow ones for my full shade areas.

Ann, I love the white edging on your Sensation lilac! So pretty! My lilac is almost done. This is a favorite of mine, Wonderblue - also very long lasting as cut flowers.

• windberry zone5a BCCanada
    5 years ago

Hi Karen,

Sorry for my late response. I didn't read the new posts until today.
    Yes, the Primulas I have are perfectly hardy in my zone 5a. I bought them as house plants in pots and moved them to the garden later on, many years ago. They seem to like my organic, well drained, sandy soil, so they explode with blooms early in spring only to be boiled alive by the sun pretty soon. I know they would like less heat and a dappled morning sunshine the most, I should move them, but don't have such a spot for them.

I am not sure they would be fully happy in full shade either, total lack of sunlight could affect negatively their blooming. But my approach is to try and see, so my advice is yes, plant a few of them in full shade and see what happens.

As for my Tulips, they grow in my edible garden, together with many other flowers, from compost, and the clump is getting bigger and bigger each year. Hopefully voles will not put the end to the process :-(

posierosie_zone7a thanked windberry zone5a BCCanada
    5 years ago

A few more blooms have have been popping up in my garden (finally)

Now I’m just patiently waiting for my lilacs and peonies to get going. I was working up a sweat this weekend getting all my dahlias that I started indoors planted outback, hopefully my sunburnt shoulder will be worth it come blooming time lol

5 years ago

Annnnd lastly a bouquet for indoors

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    5 years ago

What a gorgeous bouquet!

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    5 years ago

• posierosie_zone7a thanked xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    5 years ago

Still not much action here but here’s a few things that have been blooming that are not bulbs

We’re slowly getting to into the good stuff

• KarenPA_6b
    5 years ago

Beautiful, Xiangirl! I love pink tulips.

glOssy, your Shima NIshiki peony is gorgeous! How old is your tree? I got mine last year and not blooms yet.

5 years ago

KarenPA, actually this is her first season, a local nursery by me was selling some very impressive looking tree peonies each with 8-10 very healthy buds per plant, so naturally she came home with me , I’m actually tempted to go back and buy a couple more.

I have a second one of the same variety, purchased last year as a much smaller plant, she gave me one bloom last year, that plant is still putting along, I see some buds on her already but she’s still a few weeks out.

I will forewarn you, the smell.... is amazing! I didn’t expect it to be so fragarent but wow

• mazerolm_3a
    5 years ago

Hi, these are alliums I planted last Fall. They were my first and I had hoped the hydrangeas 'Dentelle de Gorron' planted in front would hide out the ratty foliage, but they're late leafing out!

• KarenPA_6b
    5 years ago

Do you know why the leaves become yellow before the blooms are done? Is it variety characteristic? Because I have some alliums exhibiting the same issue.

• mazerolm_3a
    5 years ago

Hi KarenPA, I don't, but this lady seems to say it's inevitable: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/sep/04/gardens-bulbs-alliums

Excerpt:

Perfect partners

Alliums have ugly leaves. Actually, they are lovely in spring but by the time the flowers appear they are manky and on the wane. Great leaf obscurers include geraniums, santolina and Alchemilla mollis. Sedum spectabile makes a good partner, forming a succulent mat of foliage around the base, then springing into flower some time after the alliums have faded. Van der Kloet also recommends grey-leaved hostas, Calamagrostis acutiflora 'Overdam', Campanula latifolia 'Alba' and Geranium magnificum.

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Mazerolm, they are still very pretty all in a row. I did that years ago and liked it very much.

Karen, my understanding is that many alliums do start fading as they bloom. Bulbs like daffodils bloom first and then the foliage persists as they store energy for next year. I believe that this allium stores energy first for a month or two then blooms right as the leaves start going over. Mazerolm could in theory remove the foliage without making much of a difference in next year's bloom.

• a1an
    5 years ago

Heh. You know how things are in sync with each other, The bigger the bloom , the bigger the leafs, Kinda like how the impression tulips leafs look like elephant ears..

I'm hating the foliage on the Globemasters, and I'm glad the googling showed me how it's like most bulbs...the leaves are wonky.

1st year with Alliums. How long does it stay purple before it starts to fade out. It really is a welcome addition as it's like a mid season flower

Tulips and such - 1st flower

Allium - late spring/early summer bloom

Then the annuals for summer-late fall. I'm glad the alliums were merged into my bloom sequence

posierosie_zone7a thanked a1an
  • KarenPA_6b
    5 years ago

Thank you very much for explaining this effect on alliums, Mazerolm and Posierosie. I have been at a puzzle about this. I was worried that my alliums were infected with virus. Now I know that this is normal. You guys have removed a big worry for me. Thanks again.

• posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

You're welcome. :). I was posting at the same time as Mazerolm so my apologies for the duplicate explanation.

• KarenPA_6b
    5 years ago

Please don't apologize! I appreciate both responses! It's a strange characteristic of alliums and I am glad to know that it is ok to strip the foliage if they distract the beauty of the flowers.

• mazerolm_3a
    5 years ago

Alliums look much better when fronted by lady's mantle! Exhibit A:

• KarenPA_6b
    5 years ago

That's a very lovely bed, mazerolm! The purple alliums really look striking with the lady mantle in front and the yellow and blue foliage of the plants around it.

• posierosie_zone7a thanked xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
  • posierosie_zone7a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I second what Karen said! Great combo.

Xiangirl, nice blooms. Looks like you are getting into summer!