SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_48619334

Struggling to accept my partner's son and past life

User
6 years ago

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this whole step mom thing and I'd like to get some advice from you on how to handle this situation.

My boyfriend and I have been together for almost a year and I've never met someone like him. He's a great man, loving, smart, and most importantly we get along so well. I'm 23 and he's 32, he has a 4 year old son from his previous relationship. He's everything that I have ever wanted in a man, except that he has a son. I was hesitated to date him in the beginning of our relationship after finding out about his past. He's not my first serious relationship, and the reason why I took the chance of dating him was because I never felt so strongly with anyone else and he loves me so much and treats me like a queen.

We recently got engaged and moved in together. As things became more serious I find myself worrying more and feeling more sad and frustrated. I'm scared that I am making the wrong choice here and walking into a lifetime commitment that is stressful. I hate the fact that he had a life before me and that he comes with a baggage. I can't help myself to feel frustrated and not resenting his past. I've met his son and we really liked each other. His ex has a full custody of his son and we have him every month or two. So far, his ex wife hasn't been causing any problems. I feel like crying and a little hurt every time he talks to his son on the phone. I know that he's just trying his best to be a great dad and be there for his little one. I don't hate his ex or his son, it just hurts me knowing that she will be in my life forever and that they have to stay in touch with each other. I'm scared that as our relationship progresses, she will cause problems in our relationship.

They were together for 5 years and divorced about 3 or 3.5 years ago before the baby turned one. My fiancé always talks about how excited he is to spend his life with me and start a family together. He said that he never really loved his ex wife and that he was unhappy in their relationship. I love him with all my heart and I'm having a dilemma whether to leave him or keep trying to work on our relationship. I feel like I'm ignoring all the warning signs. I don't want to be miserable for the rest of my life dealing with his ex wife and son. I'm afraid that once we settled down and have a baby together, he won't love our baby like his first born. I hate the fact that I am not his first and won't be giving him his firstborn although he said his son was an accident because she "forgot" to take her birth control and got herself pregnant when the relationship was already falling apart. I don't know what to do, none of my friends or family have been in a similar situation. I don't know where to ask for help other than reading online posts. I have been worrying so much recently and I don't want my frustration or anger to me out alive. It's very difficult for me to accept that there's nothing that we can do to change his past.

I want him to be a good dad to his son but a part of me feels like I'm cheating myself out of having a the ability to be #1 my future husband's life. I am hurt by the fact that I am never going to be the one who can give him his first child and go through those type of exeriences with. I really want to hear what other people in this situation have done. Do I leave the man that I love or should I stay and keep trying to make this work even though I'm starting to feel miserable? How do you cope with your partners past and handle the situation? Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH