SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dong_liu78

Polycarbonate Green House,How Long Can It Extend Growing Season,Zone 6

Dong Liu
6 years ago

I am attracted to a $600 polycarbonate green house, 6x8, from Costco.

https://www.costco.com/Harmony-6'-x-8'-Greenhouse-with-Starter-Kit.product.100032497.html

Since the winter in Boston area can be very long and extremely brutal, I do not intend to heat it and keep growing in the deep winter. The major purpose is to extend the growing season normally between May to October.

It has automatic ventilation window. I assume it will automatically open when temperature raises too high in the noon time. I should not spend too much extra time on taking care of green house itself.

My question is how long it can extend the growing season.

For example, I want to grow flowers like zinnia and cosmos. Usually I plant the seed in April, germinate in Mid May, and blossom in Mid to late July. With a green house, and occasional heating during the cold spell, I guess I can start planting in early March, and move out in Mid May. Will these hardy flowers like zinnia and cosmos bloom in May? What other flowers will significantly benefit from this green house?

I also have a vegetable garden. For cold-tolerant beans and salads, can I plant in February and harvest in May? If I want to harvest beans and salads inside the green house in November and December, when should I plant the seed? For vegetables that I want to grow outside during the summer, like tomato and zucchini, when do I plant, move out, and harvest?

I have been enjoying planting flowers and vegetables since I moved in my house 9 years ago. Green house should open another dimension for me. I would like to know how much benefit it can bring, and timing for the flowers and vegetables that will benefit significantly from the green house.

Comments (7)