SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missindie1

Engineered wood - reasonable/expected costs for mid-grade?

Chessie
6 years ago

I was hoping to replace my old carpet in the dining room/living room, with engineered wood floors. I have had several estimators out now, with various products (Harris, Q-Step, Anderson, Kahrs) and the estimates go from nearly 4K to nearly 7K. Given that this is pricier than I anticipated, I will probably live with the old carpet for a while, and just do my kitchen (LVT), stairs, and room over the garage (new carpet).

The area is 500 sf, and the products I am considering are all either oak or hickory. These estimates are all from local, decently-reviewed flooring companies. I have a limited range of wood that I would find accepable (I prefer light colors) and while realize that I could perhaps find some flooring online, or in HD (honestly have not even looked there) and buy it direct, I would still be tasked with having to find an honest and skilled/competent installer, which I think would be even more difficult. So I decided that going through a flooring company might be the best route.

I was wondering how you folks got your own floors done (DIY, company, bought flooring yourself, etc...) and if the costs exceeded what you had initially planned to spend? How did you decided on a product (so few reviews on engineered flooring)?

Did you have any issues afterward?

Comments (10)