SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mac4kids

Help with Family room Cabinets/shelves

mac4kids
6 years ago

We are currently planning a kitchen remodel in our 24 year old home. We had it built back in the day when golden oak reigned. My husband and I had 4 little kids and were happy to be able to have a house built in a small town after growing up in apartments. So this house has served us well but I'm enjoying being able to have some more choices in the design and freshen it up. We have decided to expand our remodel and replace the oak cabinets and bookshelves in the family room which adjoins the kitchen. Most of he kitchen is going to have dove white cabinets with a Cambria torquay

countertop, with some contrasting dark brown cabinets in the laundry room, island and for the desk which is replacing my china hutch area. I am using a dark brown wood look LVT in the kitchen. The family room has new charcoal grey carpeting. I would like to replace/repaint all the oak trim on the main floor, not sure how much we will get to in this remodel.

I have ordered the cabinets and they are headed for production in an Amish shop so I have hand drawn layouts but no computer made designs to see. My current plan is to replace the cabinets and bookshelves with dove white cabinets and 3 floating shelves above. I don't need the bookshelves as the adjoining room is my library created with Ikea shelving and I was looking for a more casual, less fussy look. The trim and french doors will be dove white as well. I saw a few photos on house that made me wonder if I should use the dark wood tops for these cabinets and perhaps the floating shelves as well. I like the look i the inspiration photos but don't want to create an area that looks stripey and not cohesive.

I'd appreciate any quick thought you have as I've said the cabinets are headed into production and I am headed for knee replacement surgery in 3 days. So even though the remodeling doesn't start until March, my cabinet decisions need to be finalized this week!

Included photo of Family Room, wood cabinet samples with hardware, inspiration photo.

Thanks!

Comments (3)