SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rredbbeard

Carrots in containers, and ~storage over winter?

rredbbeard
6 years ago

Root crops are difficult in my area, due to the heavy, stoney soil here. For that reason, I'm going to try growing carrots and parsnips in plastic containers, and see how that works out. I was really psyched to try this after seeing a few youtubers showing their results.

My big question here is overwinter storage. I store white potatoes and sweet potatoes dry in my cool basement, and this seems to work pretty well. I also have stored Dahlia tubers in dry peat moss in the same environment, giving them a tiny sip of water about every 6 weeks, and they come out of storage as plump as when they went in. Some other exotic tubers I simply store undisturbed in their growing pots, and again, they look fine in the spring when I unpot them.

How would carrots grown in containers fare in these circumstances? I can take entire containers, place them on a dish in the cool basement, and put a little water in the dish every few weeks perhaps? If the tops never see light, would they possibly rot or get tough after a month or two? Has anyone tried this? I may also experiment and try to store carrots in dry peat moss, like the Dahlia roots.

Comments/suggestions?

Thanks,

Rick in CT

Comments (2)