SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Do you buy travel insurance?

Lars
6 years ago

We're going to Fiji during cyclone season, although this season is predicted to be light to normal, and so I had considered buying trip insurance for the first time. I also visited the Mana Island forum on TripAdvisor, and people there thought trip insurance was a must, even though they never had to make any claims.

I had originally planned to pre-pay my hotel bill via bank transfer because the resort charges 5% for using credit cards, but then I found out that the bank charges $50 for the transfer, and so I would not save enough money to make that worthwhile. Also, I decided that if I pay with a credit card, I really won't need to buy trip insurance, which would cost me $250 to cover the costs of hotel and air fare.

My question is not whether I should buy the insurance at this point but whether you yourselves buy it and how that has worked out for you. Someone on TripAdvisor told me that if you cannot afford trip insurance, then you cannot afford the trip. I can certainly afford the insurance, but I'm not convinced that it is a good buy. My sister never buys it, and she travels a lot. I've never bought it in the past and never felt that I needed it. It's the cyclone season that caused me some concern. Two years ago, Cyclone Winston hit Fiji with devastating results (Feb 2016) but Mana Island has rebuilt and even hosted Survivor last year. The will be another film crew arriving on the day we leave, and so my timing was pretty good, as the entire island will be closed to tourists during this filming.

Have you ever made claims against travel insurance?

Comments (31)