SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nvestysly

How To? Aprilaire Humidifier to American Standard Furnace

nvestysly
6 years ago

Our HVAC system has a model 560 Aprilaire bypass humidifier with an American Standard variable speed, 2-stage, upflow, gas furnace. The furnace model is AUD2C080A9V4VBA if that makes a difference.

The humidifier water valve solenoid opens when the burner turns on and closes when the burner turns off. I think the water valve should open when the blower turns on and close when the blower turns off. Moisture cannot be put into the system unless the blower is operating. The way the unit is currently connected there is only a short duration of overlap when both the burner is on and the blower is on.

The solenoid is currently connected to the W and C terminals on the circuit board of the furnace and the dip switch S5-2 is ON. I read the installation manual and the instructions indicate to connect a humidistat to the R and BK terminals and put S5-2 to the OFF position. When I do that the Aprilaire does not operate at all.

So how do I connect the Aprilaire so the solenoid valve turns on when the blower is on and turns off when the blower is off?

Am I on the right track? The local HVAC installer insists everything is currently connected correctly but it wastes quite a bit of water and I don't think it's humidifying the house correctly.

Comments (14)