SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dyhgarden

I want an art studio. Show me yours?

DYH
6 years ago

I'm now getting to the upstairs in my 1939 house. During the renovations, I had the upstairs floors refinished, the wallpaper torn down, the walls painted and the bathroom re-tiled.

I've had the guest bedroom set up for two years. (not this room)

This is the largest bedroom, with built-in shelves/cabinets on one wall, that I want to use for my studio. It has good light all day.

When my sofa for the sunroom arrives, I'm going to move the daybed into the future studio, mostly so that my poodle will hang out with me while I paint --- but, it will serve as a twin bed guest room, if I need space beyond the other one.

I have these odd antique chairs that I've held onto forever, and can't use downstairs and the consignment shops aren't interested.

Wants --

1. an easel for watercolor painting
  2. a drafting table for drawing. Adjustable for sitting/standing.
  3. a comfortable adjustable, swivel stool/chair
  4. a rolling cart with shelves

The room has to be functional, but since guests will walk past it while there, I want it to be more than a hodgepodge of stuff.

Do you have recommendations for 1-4? Anything else for a studio?

Thanks!

Comments (63)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    6 years ago

I would get something that you like to look at and feels good. While that is very functional and a good price, I don't like working on glass and I prefer a bigger table.

DYH thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    6 years ago

If you are doing watercolors and want to wok at an angle, you still need a place to put your palette, brushes, water, etc. All the stuff. So you have options, a slanted table and a side table for the materials or a flat table with an easel and the stuff on the table. I have a solid panel table top easel that will go at any angle that I use on my flat table which is 4'x7'. And a different set up for floor easels, sorry no pics, it's a working studio and a mess. Yes I have a plant, the geranium with brown leaves I'm overwintering.

• Related Discussions

art work in your kitchen?

Q

Comments (34)
    Many thanks for the comps on our views and artwork. Much of the art was very reasonably priced, as this is an artist's mecca out here in New Mexico. Richpoor, with no views, you might consider framing a view of your own. By that I mean, find a poster or print of a view that would fit your area of the country and that you like, and frame it nicely to give your kitchen the view it's missing. In our DD's room, I bought one of those inexpensive window mirrors on sale at Hobby Lobby. One that looks like it has window panes. I took it apart, threw away the mirror, had glass put in it and had HL cut down a poster and insert a great "view" for her one wall. The eye really is fooled into seeing the view beyond the window. Here's a pic of DD's other view. I've since added heaftier molding to the top and bottom to even it out.: And a trompe l'oiel pic I had in her room when it was done in a beach theme. I'm not necessarily suggesting either for your kitchen, but there are great possibilities in the idea. Tromp l'oeil means "fool the eye" and this kind of art does just that, especially in a place with no good view. It makes the room feel bigger, too. Just some food for thought. Lynn
    ...See More

Please show me your craft art walnut countertops

Q

Comments (2)
    Have you looked at their Facebook? There are a ton on there. I wish there had been that many when I first bought last year. Here is a link that might be useful: craft art wood countertop facebook
    ...See More

Share your (non-art) art

Q

Comments (57)
    I have thoroughly enjoyed browsing all the photos and reading the stories of your collections here. Such beautiful pieces and wonderful, touching stories. To see most of mine, you'd think my home was full of antiques, which is far from the real deal, but these seem to be most of my most interesting non-art things. However, some of you have given me some ideas for things I could do in the future with things I have stored! This is a small collection of silver vases, albeit in need of some polish right now. My collection of miniature tea sets. This started with my aunt giving me her much-used Mickey Mouse set she had used back in the 30's as a child and a then-new set when I was about 8-years old (the blue and white delft set). The rest is a mix of old and new I picked up along the way as an adult. I also have a lot of old hankies that belonged to my grandmother and great-grandmother, and yes I use them at weddings and funerals. They made some of them, including the tatting on the edges. Gallery hallway of family photos (old and new) To honor our home states (Alabama and Ohio) I started looking for old maps of our states and regions. This is one of Alabama and of the Eastern US in our breakfast room. The next one is an Agricultural map of Ohio. I think I've posted enough. Thanks for viewing. BTW, those clocks are awesome! And I adore that mirror, and I can't say enough about that belly cast!
    ...See More

Show me your Arts and Crafts / Bungalow / Craftsman backsplash

Q

Comments (27)
    I ended up with tiles from Seneca Tile in their Handmold line. I absolutely love the way the tiles look surrounding my fireplace and they would be just as beautiful on a backsplash. I searched high and low for handmade tiles that weren't $$$ before I went into a more boutique type tile store and found exactly what I was looking for. The link doesn't do the tiles justice at all. For example, the tile picture below is the color "sierra", which on the website looks beigy. IRL, it is far from being beige. Here's an old picture, but you get the idea. Here is a link that might be useful: Handmold collection
    ...See More
  • just_terrilynn
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Bumble, could you tell me what you do with your Larger wet canvases? Not jumbo sized but up to 4' or so with thicker gallery edges. I'm looking for ideas for wall storage. My room isn't that big. The wall I could use is behind the desk so I would rather a shelf with lip but everything I have found so far is too shallow with holding the paintings in a tippy upright position. I don't really want to make a shelf myself.

I'm hoping this question isn't considered a highjack to the op as it may be useful in relation to a studio setup.

DYH thanked just_terrilynn
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    6 years ago

I'm happy to help! For me, it's about tables, I have 3 6' brown metal folding tables, those standard banquet tables, that run along one wall end to end against the wall. On top of those are 1" thick cut to fit boards painted cream and the 18' of tables are skirted, that hides a lot of junk. So, many of the paintings sit on this, propped against the wall. The other side of the room is a 26' long built in bookcase that I prop painting against too. In the room I also have 3 easels and some taborets, my desk top and a lot of books.

It's a room over the garage, accessed from inside the house but 100% away from visible public rooms. Many visitors often sigh when seeing the room, "ok , so now I know where your "real" living is!" The rest of the house is ya know, that magazine look, or at least aspiring to and we all know how lots of people feel uncomfortable in that.

The floor is vinyl and that has been great as mineral spirits don't damage it. And acrylics will peel up with steam. The lighting is 4, 4' fluorescent clouds, leds though.

• Lars
    6 years ago

One advantage of having a clear drafting table is that you can use it as a light box by putting a light under it. I would test it out first to make sure that it is sturdy and does not wobble. I might be concerned about the casters, but otherwise it looks like a very functional table. If you do not like the surface, you can always cover it with vinyl.

DYH thanked Lars
  • just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Think I'm going to have to make a stinking larger canvases wall shelf for my smallish room. Don't think I have the energy or will to make a flouting version but I'm using this as my kinda inspiration.

Except it will be one long shelf above my desk and exstending out a bit.

Hopefully I'll fiind a 12" deep/wide and long piece of lumber on CL I can stain to match stuff. Or, maybe I'll get lucky on the Cl free section.

Then, I will use these rails from IKEA nicely spaced for the lip. I think 4 pks of two will do it.

I have a few of these wall mount cubes sitting around so those will act as the brackets. Wood will mount on top. Cubes will store stuff needed at table/desk area.

• DYH thanked chickadee2_gw
  • chickadee2_gw
    6 years ago

I don’t paint but somehow got on their mailing and receive a large catalog from them.

https://www.dickblick.com/categories/tables/

Martha Stewart has a line of wooden furniture for craft rooms that I’ve seen in catalogs. Looks like Home Depot carries it at least online.

DYH thanked chickadee2_gw
  • DYH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The CL drafting table sold yesterday. There are times that I like a glass surface beneath my paper (when I remove the paper from the block to paint to the edge) and use an old glass tabletop that I have on hand.

A light box would be nice, but I've lived this long without one!

There are so many brands of drafting tables, with mixed reviews, that buying a new one is very confusing....so as much as I'd love a drafting table, I may start out with a work table and use a table top easel, when needed to get my slope.

I was working on my 36" table and it is too small. I really need something bigger...and a rolling utility cart.

Today, I was pouring a background wash onto the paper and had to hold it over a paper plate on an old kitchen tray to catch the drips. I really need my space sooner than later.

chickadee -- I buy a lot of art supplies from Dick Blick. That's where I've been looking at drafting tables.

Anyone who is into art -- painting, drawing, ceramics, pottery -- please feel free to ask each other questions on this thread. Not OT as far as I'm concerned.

• chickadee2_gw
    6 years ago

Dyhgarden, your response at 6:50 or part of it showed up in my email, but at 7:00, it’s not here. I saw on another topic here others were having problems like this. Weird.

• DYH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

that's weird!

• DYH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This work bench is popular on Wayfair. Adjustable height. Reviews -- people use these for kitchen bars, sewing/craft rooms, garages. Paint apparently is easy to remove from the top. Two sizes available.

https://www.wayfair.com/storage-organization/pdp/trinity-72w-adjustable-height-wood-top-workbench-tty1154.html?piid=15472600

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Hmmm, as you know I'm no expert but do you think that will be deep enough? 24" isn't much. If you look on CL don't forget the business section. There are sometimes some cool stuff like salon carts on wheels also sometimes desks with locking wheels and all sorts of stuff.

• DYH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I know-- 24" isn't very deep, but I tend to need more space on the sides while I work. I'll have to figure out exactly what will fit in the room, too.

• Jeane Gallo
    6 years ago

I have the same glass table. The casters lock. I use it as a light table, use it flat for watercolor painting, and when I'm painting with acrylics I use a standing easel and put my paints, palette and water, etc on this table. I like that I can move the table easily around the room for the best light. I have a floor model Ott light that I move around too. I bought two large black metal shelf units to store books and paper and all my other stuff. I have a small multi shelf box from Michael's for storage for 11x14 and under.

DYH thanked Jeane Gallo
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    6 years ago

Justerri, perhaps you should get a drying rack. Many variations. I am using one right now in a class and I have 10 students paintings on it.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    6 years ago

I love the idea of a glass drafting table (is it glass?) - it could double as a lightbox for tracing, and it seems like it would be easier to keep clean than a wood topped table. My old wooden drafting table is permanently stained.

Ha! Just saw that I'm not the only one w/ the same thought = )

Martha Stewart has some nice ideas for craft rooms/studios.

https://www.marthastewart.com/search/results?keys=craft%20room

My worktable is a hollow core door I antiqued and sealed w/ marine varnish, set on top of a couple of filing cabinets and cubby shelving units.

That is a very pretty room, dyhgarden!

DYH thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Thanks Bumble, my room is only around 12 x 13 or so, so I was thinking of going along the wall. I could then store blank canvases in the closet. To make matters worse I have my husbands family coming and I'll have to stick a blow up bed in there for ten days grrrrr.

• DYH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I've been searching --

These "go-cart" metal tables on industrial castors at CB2 are recommended for craft rooms in the description. Though only 24" deep, I could buy two and configure them for how I work.

There is a counter-height version (carbon or white) for only $179, with good reviews. I pay that much to restock my paints!

I really like an L-shape --- here's today's setup in my living room, with my rolling drawer cart beside my chair. To protect my oak table, it is covered with a vinyl/felt backed table pad (like you put under table cloths). You see the mess I go through cleaning up -- I'd love to work upstairs where I can leave everything set up. I put everything in the rolling cart and push it into my hall closet. I also have to turn on the overhead lights to work (off in photo).

Once the daybed is in the studio room, I'll have 80", the length of the room, clear space to move tables around. My wall of shelves has two banks of drawers and two cabinets with drawers above. I've got a table-top easel for watercolors, too.

Once I get my new work tables and a counter height rolling stool, I'll work on what's next (floor protection).

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Looks like you are sorting it out nicely Dyhgarden! Soon your masterpieces will be in the works. As soon as I finish repainting the baseboards , repairing the guest bathtub, replacing some landscape and doing a bit of pressure washing ... I'll be back in my little studio finishing the two thousand eight hundred unfinished paintings lol.

Oh, forgot, and after I finish building some shelves.

• hcbm
    6 years ago

I am also setting up a spare room as an art/guest room and found these work tables at Ikea. I have different interest so I really like the idea of lowering and raising the table height. I haven't decided what to do yet and am also considering having someone build a fold down table using a long piano hinge that is angle adjustable, attached to one wall.

DYH thanked hcbm
  • DYH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I like the Ikea tables, but buying there isn't an option for me. It's 3.5 hours each way to the store. That will change in a few years, when one opens closer to me.

• hcbm
    6 years ago

3.5 hours is a long drive just for a table. They deliver but shipping is very expensive and returns would be impossible. Other companies have similar products.

I am following this thread for inspiration. dygarden every picture I have seen of your home has made me drool and inspired me. I can't wait to see the end result of your studio.

DYH thanked hcbm
  • chickadee2_gw
    6 years ago

These kitchen carts don’t have to stay in the kitchen.

https://www.target.com/c/kitchen-carts-islands-dining-furniture/-/N-5xtmh

• DYH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The problem with most kitchen islands/carts is being able to use a drafting chair (height of counter stool) under those with shelves or enclosed sides. Also, getting one up my narrow steps! I have a 33" (assembled) width limit!

• sydneyfv
    6 years ago

Sounds like Ikea is too far away, but if you are ever near one, they have a great cart on wheels -- three baskets that are 3-4 inches deep. I assembled one myself today -- so not too hard to do! Raskog Utility Cart.

• chickadee2_gw
    6 years ago

I misunderstood. I thought the rolling carts were for art supplies to pull nexr to your drafting table.

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Dyhgarden, if you are still looking for a work table do a search on mobile lab work bench or laboratory work bench. Some are really expensive but not all. There are some nifty ones on http://www.globalindustrial.com/c/work-benches/laboratory. There are some great size options as well.

EDITED to add: okay this place is a gold mind. When you are done looking at lab work benchs do another search on the site "work bench" all kinds of stuff.

• DYH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

chickadee -- If I get a rolling bench (on casters, like the go-cart from CB2), then I can roll it over to my built-in shelves and drawers. I actually have three banks of 4 drawers on one side of the window, with shelves to the ceiling. It will reduce the number of pieces of furniture.

Ignore the junk! I have shelves to fill the blanks -- they were all repainted during the renovation. So, I decided I have enough storage and need work bench space.

justerrilynn -- I'll look at those tomorrow. My eyes are done for tonight. Thanks!

• DYH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The first Go-Cart arrived and it is heavy, sturdy metal! I have to assemble it!!!!

Using my mom's antique dish to hold sponges for painting:

Using my mom's Depression Glass relish dish to hold small tubes of paint. An old lipstick organizer of mine is perfect for larger watercolor tubes.

Around 1946, my father delivered flowers for a florist and they gave him this pitcher. It's perfect for holding my new Hake brushes.

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

Dyh, we have one of those rolling tables from CB2 and it’s great! Sturdier than I’d expected. DD used it as a desk in her small bedroom for a few years, until she decided she’d rather have a lounge chair. Now it’s in our basement family room as a craft table.

DYH thanked Sueb20
  • DYH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Good to hear on the CB2. It's very sturdy -- hope the other arrives today.

I started sorting out the room. Still a mess. Those drawers have contact paper stuck in them, so I'm trying to remove it as I go.

I have both an Ott Floor and Table lamp on order -- task lamps with correct light.

I ended up ordering an easel specifically for watercolors. I love those easels many of you posted, but I opted for a combo studio/travel outfit -- En Plein Air Pro Advanced Series Watercolor Easel.

• laughablemoments
    6 years ago

I don’t have any advice, but I’m eagerly following along, silently cheering, and hoping to get ideas for our someday studio space. : )

DYH thanked laughablemoments
  • Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    6 years ago

Since you’re an artist, how about painting yourself a floor cloth for an area rug?

DYH thanked Annette Holbrook(z7a)
  • lawsonch19
    6 years ago

I love my craft room/studio. Hopefully some of the ideas I used will inspire you! Here is a link. Good luck; I'll follow along!

DYH thanked lawsonch19
  • DYH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Annette -- ooo! A floor cloth. That's a great idea. I'd let my grandkids have a go at it, too! I'll keep it in mind -- it would have to be painted outside!

• DYH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lawsonch -- that's an incredible craft room! My best friend is a quilter and has similar setup for her quilting/craft room.

• Allison0704
    6 years ago

dyhgarden, the studio is looking great! Love the use of old items for storage/display. I put Mom's brushes in a pottery piece on bookshelf.

I was wondering about the CB2 cart/table. I need a piece to go in a closet to put all-in-one machine on, but need file cabinets beneath, or in another closet that I'm going to use for packing/wrapping and supplies storage. In the CB2 photo showing them as desks, they did not use the center bar so chairs can go under desk. Do the instructions say it isn't necessary? TIA

DYH thanked Allison0704
  • DYH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I used the crossbar for support -- my tables are counter height, and the desks aren't -- so I imagine that's why they don't use that support.

The tables are very heavy. My second one was easier to assemble than the first because I had practice! They are so easy to maneuver on the casters. For now, I'm using one of my stools from the peninsula -- I had regretted buying three of those because it felt crowded. Very comfortable (discontinued RH) stool.

I have an electrician coming today to convert the two-prong, non-grounded outlets to three-prong, grounded. Should have been done during the renovation, but my electrician for that project was a complainer about every little thing!

My easel was delivered last night. I'll unbox and assemble it after the electrician leaves.

• jellytoast
    6 years ago

So much fun to see your studio come together!

DYH thanked jellytoast
  • cpartist
    6 years ago

Sorry I missed this thread before. Your studio is looking great. Honestly though, I would consider painting the walls a more neutral color as the blue will affect anything you're working on and cast a slightly bluish cast to it.

Here is my studio unfinished. (Standing in the northeast corner looking southwest) I have two closets like the one on the right. In the closet shown will be all my drawings that are framed stacked on shelving.

Between the two closets will be a large bin for paper storage with the tv above.

The second closet will be for storage of art supplies and still life supplies. (I'm a still life artist.)

The french doors lead to a balcony where I can photograph still life setups and photograph finished art.

(Standing in the southwest corner looking northeast.)
    My pride and joy is my new desk. It's 8'9" long x 36" wide x 36" high. I work at an easel standing up so will get a counter height stool. My computer will sit at the back of the knee hole area and I stand so the desk will be to my right. As I work, I'll also be able to see the tv or look out the french doors.
    Here is the backside of the desk. There is room for seating for 2 students or even 3 if I remove my computer. As mentioned, I'd be standing facing the doors as I work. This large surface will also allow me to frame my artwork, layout new ideas, etc.
    This is my favorite part. I'm a colored pencil artist so now I can stand at my easel, open the drawer and pull out the color(s) I need to work with and then put them back neatly.

DYH thanked cpartist
  • DYH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow! Cpartist -- it's so wonderful that you designed from scratch to get your wish list! It's such a perfect studio and that desk -- amazing!

Yes, I agree that the SW Tidewater needs to come off the walls, but I'll keep that color in the back of the open shelves.

What color do you recommend? My rolling table is in front of a window facing southeast; the other is southwest.

Originally, this was going to be the main guest room and I was going to make a much smaller space (also with built-in shelves) my studio. I even had a queen bed, nice oriental rug in there. I also had a queen bed for the other bedroom--because I had two queen beds left from the previous home. When my son's friend rented his first house, I told him to come take the 2nd queen bed. So, we moved everything into the violet bedroom.

This is that smaller room (realtor's photos of before my renovation). The photo is so deceptive--they used some magic to make it look bigger than 9.x feet! They closed the door to make that table on the left fit! The light in there was so dark, I couldn't read anything! Both windows are facing north. A twin bed won't fit in there.

It's now painted white and packed with all the "what do I do with this?" boxes and leftover chairs and side tables!

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Wow! Cpartist -- it's so wonderful that you designed from scratch to get your wish list! It's such a perfect studio and that desk -- amazing!

This is the second studio I've designed. The first was in the condo and I wound up learning from my mistakes in that one. I am so looking forward to this one.

What color do you recommend? My rolling table is in front of a window facing southeast; the other is southwest

I used SW Believable Buff which is the SW version of BM Manchester Tan. Many people insist on white, but I find white too harsh for me. I'm just not a white person.

Another color that would work would be a light neutral gray. Being I'm not a gray person, I'll defer to those who are to make suggestions.

The other thing I did was add lots of LED can lights and I'm planning on getting good daylight bulbs.

• laughablemoments
    6 years ago

CPArtist, care to elaborate? This is the second studio I've designed. The first was in the condo and I wound up learning from my mistakes in that one. I am so looking forward to this one. What specific mistakes did you rectify this time around, or are they already explained above? (You might save others, er...me, some grief.)

• cpartist
    6 years ago

CPArtist, care to elaborate? This is the second studio I've designed. The first was in the condo and I wound up learning from my mistakes in that one. I am so looking forward to this one. What specific mistakes did you rectify this time around, or are they already explained above? (You might save others, er...me, some grief.)

Happy to oblige.

My last studio was the third bedroom in our condo. I had a wonderful closet to keep supplies in, but no place to store boxes or finished artwork, so it all wound up stacked up behind the sleeper sofa. (BTW the sleeper sofa will be on the north wall under the window in my new condo but won't have boxes or artwork stacked behind it.)

One new closet has shelves built vertically to store artwork and boxes. And the other closet will actually have pull out drawers so I can store more in it.

If you look at the photo, my easel was to the left of my desk chair so I could stand at my easel and reach for a pencil. The problem was the computer screen was lower so if I needed to look at a detail (I work from my own photos and from life combined) in my photo, it meant bending over to see the screen.

In the new studio, the desk is 36" high which will put my computer screen at eye level when I'm standing at my easel.

My pencils were always in a pile on top of the desk since there was no place to "store them". That meant many times I'd spend time searching for the color I need, even when it was right in front of me. LOL.

The new desk has that wonderful drawer with 20 pencil compartments so I can store pencils by color and brand.

There was no place to store my paper which was large sheets. so they wound up on top of the bench under the table, with the ends flopping over the edge.

In the new studio between the two closets will be a paper storage cabinet. This will also allow me to store mats and finished art that isn't framed.

The top was also glass on top of wood so it was always full of fingerprints and pencils had a habit of falling off.

Because of the desk drawer, I don't have to worry about pencils falling off and the top is oak wood.

The desk was not deep enough. It was if I recall about 25" deep, so I never felt like I had enough room to spread out.

The new desk is 36" wide.

I had no place but the dining room table to sort paper or frame drawings.

Now my desk will allow me the room to do that.

In the old setup the printer was on my desk as there was no other space.

In the new studio, the printer will be in the closet or on the top of the paper storage bin.

I didn't have great lighting so it was impossible to work once the sun went down.

In the new studio, I have 8 high hats with LED lighting as well as a ceiling fan with LED lighting so I will have enough light to work at night if I'm trying to finish up a drawing. Additionally, with windows on both the north and south walls, I have bright daylight all day long.

And just a personal thing. At times I just would go on the computer and the tv wasn't conducive to watching at my desk.

In the new studio, my tv won't be conducive to watching while I'm drawing, but I never watch when drawing. I will listen though. However if I'm at the computer in my new studio, I'll be able to see the computer straight ahead.

Lastly, I work standing up, so I designed the desk to be counter height. It will be easy for me to stand up from my chair to start drawing or sit down if I need to.

One thing I'd say if you're setting up an art room or a craft room is to really figure out how you work and what you absolutely need.

Where do you need to keep your materials while you're working? In front of you? To the left? The right?

Where do you keep materials that aren't needed immediately?

How do you work? Do you prefer sitting at a desk? Sitting at an easel? Standing up?

Do you like listening to music? TV?

DYH thanked cpartist
  • deeinohio
    6 years ago

Such great ideas! And, lawsonch19, I love your blog, and I love YOU!

• DYH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Cpartist -- thank you! It's so helpful to read what didn't work and how you're correcting it. You've given me a way to check off what I have/don't have set up correctly!

I'm so fortunate to have drawers large enough for my different sizes of watercolor blocks and pads. I'm not yet using rolls, but I have the wall space in mind, out of the sun, to use for such a purpose.

I'm trying to decide if I need to label my drawers -- right now, I'm looking everywhere!

My sketchbooks fit on my open shelves.

I have a template drawer for architectural curves, protractors, compass, etc.

With the two rolling tables, counter height, I'm able to keep everything within reach for painting, including the watercolor pencils and India ink pens that I use for certain styles of painting.

My external computer monitor (I use a MacBook notebook to attach), is at standing eye height on a shelf. I put a 9" swivel lazy susan under it yesterday so that I can tilt it toward my easel, my table, or the daybed that will soon be up there. I also look at my photos on the larger screen while painting. I can watch Netflix or Acorn TV on it. I rarely watch anything other than the evening news of my TV (cut my cable and don't miss it/using indoor antenna for PBS and local NBC).

I also have a big walk-in closet for this room that is empty except for my tote bags and bedding (can go in drawers) for the daybed.

Question -- what chair/stool do you recommend? I've looked at so many online, but since I can't try those in a store, I haven't made a decision. Like you, I prefer to stand a lot of the time. But, for really wet watercolor work, or minute details, I work flat on the table from my chair. I also have a table easel for a slight slant, and my new easel adjusts (it's on a camera tripod) for any degree slant.

• laughablemoments
    6 years ago

CPartist, thank you so much for your explanations of what did and didn’t work for you! I’ll be referring back to this thread when we go to plan our studio space.

DYgarden, labeling the drawers is a great idea. I’ve had fun watching Miss Mustard Seed set up a studio space, and like the brass label holders she used on her drawers Miss Mustard Seed’s studio. She includes the link for the label holders, but I think Amazon carries some, too.

Lawsonch19, I missed your link earlier. Off to peek right now. : )

• DYH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I had a perfect Saturday. This is my 4 yo granddaughter experimenting with my grown-up art supplies. She painted the wet-on-wet (blue/yellow) with a hake brush, then a wet on dry paper (pink/green/black) using an angle brush; followed by using a dampened rigor brush to "paint" her drawings created with my watercolor pencils. I let her use the pipette to add water to the paints to do her own mixing. She's wearing an apron that was made by my grandmother -- her great great grandmother. I found it while unpacking more boxes. She took it home with her. She loves it!

• DYH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

laughable moments -- oh, now I have drawer label envy! That's a beautiful setup! Thanks for the link.