SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
poorowner_gw

art work in your kitchen?

PoorOwner
14 years ago

Can I see some framed art / pictures you have in your kitchen? Looking for ideas to decorate the wall a bit..

Thanks

Comments (34)

• ci_lantro
    14 years ago

I have this Kessler print framed in a simple black metal frame. Was hanging in the old kitchen & I made sure to have a spot for it in the new kitchen.

• lyno
    14 years ago

We're still in the planning stages, but I bought this print a few years ago and said I might plan my future kitchen around it. Well, it might not be planned around it, but this will have a place in my future kitchen. Right now I'm thinking if I can work it out, it will go over my bake center. I love the colors and the whimsy of it. Seems very appropriate to be near my bake center....probably the prettiest pie that will ever be in my kitchen...LOL.

It is a Connie Bieber print

ci lantro - love the Kessler!

• Related Discussions

Not your usual art work

Q

Comments (5)
    I had forgotten about peyote stitch, although when looking it up, I did remember "gourd stitch". I admire the patience required to use pointy pencils instead of beads! For those interested, scroll down link for a very clear explanation of how it's done... Here is a link that might be useful: peyote stitch
    ...See More

Found art work for my kitchen at Flea Market

Q

Comments (2)
    The texture and subtile color of the tin piece is really nice and goes very well with the furnishings. Great find.
    ...See More

Please need your inputs in simplifying this room or changing art works

Q

Comments (3)
    You have only posted one image, but I would suggest the room would look better with the sofa on one of the long walls, maybe under the picture on the wall with the TV in the corner?? That's not really the best chandelier for this room.
    ...See More

art work above bed

Q

Comments (9)
    Your wall paint is such a nice, deep color, and the mirrors are so interesting, I would most likely leave it plain. But it really depends on the entire room and balance you want to achieve, as well as the feel — calm and serene? More artsy and lively? Maximalist? Minimal? Will there be curtains? Amount of art on other walls? All factor in. Hard to say for sure and know context just seeing this wall. Elegant and serene: This is also a nice look: What feels best to you? ETA: If you’re really attached to that piece, I’d turn it: Ignore the art, just using to show scale and placement:
    ...See More
  • allison0704
    14 years ago

I have two antique etchings on the range wall. I don't have any close ups, but they are of deer and dogs. We live in the woods and see deer daily. We also love our dogs. lol

You can see them in two of the pictures on this link:

Here is a link that might be useful: My Kitchen

• lyno
    14 years ago

Sorry that turned out so large, I thought I made it smaller.

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

We planned our new kitchen around our views and our art, both of which we love! The focal point of the kitchen is our new hand-troweled plaster hood. I wanted a mantel ledge on it so that I could display a painting. This one is here throughout the year, except during Christmas, when I put up a more Christmas-y one. we chose not to add more on either side of the hood, to keep the focal point more simple:
    {{!gwi}}
    Above the corner cab to the right of the hood, I have an antique painted window propped up. These windows are pretty common out here in New Mexico, and have become well-known due to the huge collection of them in the famous LaFonda Hotel in Santa Fe.
    {{!gwi}}
    These four pieces hang on the wall by the eating bar:
    {{gwi:1528289}}
    And these I keep propped up on easels in the kitchen:
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    I guess it's pretty obvious that we love and collect art (LOL). It's an obsession, really ;^P
    I'll probably eventually add a painting above these cabs, but like them as is for now:
    {{!gwi}}
    Or here above the windows (on the left)is another possibility:
    {{!gwi}}
    Lynn

• loves2cook4six
    14 years ago

I have a lot of art in the kitchen - mostly contemporary art from Art festivals but my favorite series is a collection of frames I bought on eBay for $40 that frame artwork my kids and niflings (nieces and nephews) have made. I only have one picture available - this was my youngest niece who at 3 yrs old, drew this for me a few weeks ago. The look on her face when she saw it FRAMED and in my kitchen was priceless. The frames fit perfectly on the backsplash all around the kitchen and in the butlers pantry

{{!gwi}}

• trailrunner
    14 years ago

My newest is this May Kugler. May was a good friend of my BIL and he gifted my with this 2 weeks ago. I am thrilled. May is always the little girl in red. In this picture they are picking up crawfish. She lived her whole life in La Place LA.

This is a wonderful linen towel that my DS1 and DIl brought me from the market in Giny France.

I have many NOLA photos , I did not take them and the man who did has disappeared since Katrina and there are no more available. I treasure them.

{{gwi:1589948}}

another view:

I have quite a few more of his photos on the other walls in the kitchen. Since NOLA was our home these make me feel closer and also remind me of the great food and times.

• danielle00
    14 years ago

We have these by a German artist-- not sure how big these will be-- they are of fish throwing a person into a stock pot.

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/coccobello/DCP_4331.jpg[/IMG]

• furletcity
    14 years ago

Currently, I have two antique fish prints and a dimensional rooster tile. I also have a terrific write on/wipe off board trimmed in cork that my dad made that is our daily memo board!

• megradek
    14 years ago

I am fortunate that my mom is an artist, so most of everything in my house comes from her!

{{!gwi}}

I also have been gathering some interesting 'food' photographs as inspiration for my kitchen (current and future!)

sorry for the bad picture, but you can get an idea - one is of the spice bazaar in Turkey (I travelled there years ago), the other is of baskets of Thai fruits
    {{!gwi}}

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

I don't have much wall space in my kitchen, but I do have a small framed print of Picasso's "The Kitchen" that I bought at MOMA on a trip with my daughter to New York:

• igloochic
    14 years ago

This isn't a close up so you can't see the age (which is why they're cool). These are midevil drawings from a medical/herb book. They're hand colored, and date to the 1400's. And while that sounds like some snooty danged kitchen art....I bought them on ebay :oP My brother is an expert so he had them framed appropriately for me, but in all actuallity..they are a couple hundred dollar investment in some fun (to me...I like quirky) kitchen art.

You can see the wall below in white..ignore that, it's where the bench seat back goes.

• Jean Farrell
    14 years ago

We have this vintage poster hanging in our breakfast room. It is quite large:

• igloochic
    14 years ago

Oh ya, the pictures LOL (Forgot the link)

• pfmastin
    14 years ago

furlecity,
    May I ask where you found your beautiful dimensional rooster tile? I"m looking for something similar in a floral motif to go above my range. Thanks!
    Pam

• berf
    14 years ago

An old beer ad (one of a small collection)
    chose this one for the kitchen because of the colors.
    {{!gwi}}

• rosie
    14 years ago

Well, this is fun! How nice to see all the individual whims and tastes. Danielle, I LOVE yours, and your kitchen!

Poorowner, I hope you're inspired instead of confused. I also designed our cream-painted wood hood with a shelf to hold a painting, plate, thing, or other things. What at any particular time is truly the whim of the moment. BTW, browsing ebay art with a low maximum dollar amount is fun and interesting, and surprising. As it happens I just today surprised myself with a collage of a bowl of oranges. At least that's what the artist says it is. :)

• gsciencechick
    14 years ago

We just painted the paneling white so we moved these around a bit. The blue one is a framed newspaper article called "Seinfood" that is an old favorite of DH's. The acrylic is called "Double Chimney" by artist Robert Lazo, MD, a physician in rural VA.

This platter is hand-painted from Italy. It was a wedding gift from my former boss and his wife.

• danielle00
    14 years ago

Rosie,
    Thanks! It is the kitchen from our old house which we redid and enjoyed for 2 years before we moved to a better school district. Now we are doing our second renovation (the art will stay the same, though!)

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

These are great guys/gals! very different. I am thinking of using the same stain as the cabinetry to create a frame. Just not sure what to put in yet, prefer food related..

• oldalgebra
    14 years ago

I don't have any room in my kitchen to put much art work. There's only room for knives on magnet bars and hanging puts. But I do have a framed oversized postcard from New Orleans (or NOLA, as trailrunner would say). It's a poor photo, but it shows some beignets and cafe au lait at the famous Café du Monde along the water.

• redroze
    14 years ago

Oldalgebra - I love the idea of framing a postcard with a photo of real food on it. Thanks for the great idea!!

• rhome410
    14 years ago

What a fun and interesting thread. I have so little wall to hang such wonderful things! There is a spot over the table that doesn't have anything, because I can't decide whether it should have a colorful quilt, kitchen/food photos, or one of my dd's abstract expressionist paintings... This is all that's made it to the walls so far (not framed, so doesn't really meet the criteria):

• furletcity
    14 years ago

Thanks Pam. I bought the rooster tile a few years ago in a small, upscale boutique. While traveling, I have spotted the rooster posing in a couple of other stores. The only marking on the back looks to be the maker's mark, "Roz"? maybe.If you google dimensional tile, maybe some possibilities would surface.Wish I could be more helpful!

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

A collection of framed 1930's Swiss postcards with drinking, carousing beets on them:

• pbrisjar
    14 years ago

circuspeanut: Those look more like carrots and parsnips. Very cute.

As I have no wall space, I don't have any art hanging in my kitchen. The closest I get are the hand-stenciled flowers on my backsplash. I have kinda idly thought about finding a few 4x4 art tiles I could hang but I dunno. Maybe I'll just mount a few of my pewter plates instead.

• abbycat9990
    14 years ago

We have limited wall space, so it's just this vintage poster. We have only a small section of (drywalled) wall, and just recently came up with the idea of mounting a corkboard on which we will display DD's art.

• trailrunner
    14 years ago

Oldalgebra....I can help you find a NEW hanging place for your wonderful postcard !! That brings back lots of memories. In the 60's we would stop in the Quarter at the cafe' and have coffee and beignets after a prom. Always a hoot to see the powdered sugar as it floated all over the black tuxes !

Everyone has such GREAT art...this is such a very nice thread. c

• zelmar
    14 years ago

I framed 4 b&w photos my teen daughter took during our first trip overseas.

{{!gwi}} {{gwi:1579548}}

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    14 years ago

Lynn from Mexico - You don't need artwork with that beautiful view out of your windows!

I love all the different ideas here - from the kid's art to vintage pieces!

• richpoor
    14 years ago

>> downsey:
    Lynn from Mexico - You don't need artwork with that beautiful view out of your windows!
    I love all the different ideas here - from the kid's art to vintage pieces!
    >>

I was going to say: "Lynn from New Mexico -- you don't need artwork with that beautiful view..." ....except downsey beat me to it, almost word for word!

I can't take my eyes off that view!! That is absolutely, fabulously, spectacularly awesome!

I'm still picking light fixtures and bathroom accessories and grout colors, but now you all have me psyched to look for artwork. Especially since my view is the polar opposite from Lynn's (an alley between us and a neighbor's house). 2-3 months before move-in, sigh. Maybe a poster or two will improve my attitude.

• minette99
    14 years ago

This is a print of the famed Cafe Floré that I picked up AT the Cafe Floré in Paris in Sept., 08. It's a nice print and an even nicer memory so I wanted to place it in my newly done kitchen.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

Many thanks for the comps on our views and artwork. Much of the art was very reasonably priced, as this is an artist's mecca out here in New Mexico.

Richpoor, with no views, you might consider framing a view of your own. By that I mean, find a poster or print of a view that would fit your area of the country and that you like, and frame it nicely to give your kitchen the view it's missing. In our DD's room, I bought one of those inexpensive window mirrors on sale at Hobby Lobby. One that looks like it has window panes. I took it apart, threw away the mirror, had glass put in it and had HL cut down a poster and insert a great "view" for her one wall. The eye really is fooled into seeing the view beyond the window. Here's a pic of DD's other view. I've since added heaftier molding to the top and bottom to even it out.:
    {{!gwi}}
    And a trompe l'oiel pic I had in her room when it was done in a beach theme. I'm not necessarily suggesting either for your kitchen, but there are great possibilities in the idea. Tromp l'oeil means "fool the eye" and this kind of art does just that, especially in a place with no good view. It makes the room feel bigger, too. Just some food for thought.
    {{!gwi}}
    Lynn

• pfmastin
    14 years ago

Thank you, furlecity!
    Pam

Sponsored
Cozy Regenerations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Loudoun County