SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srb2398061

I am so proud!

Anglophilia
6 years ago

DGS is a squash player...a squash player in a town where squash is a popular sport for MEN. When he started playing in 4th grade, there were 4 junior players- two sets of siblings. My two DGS made the 3rd set. They had two group lessons weekly but none during tennis season -late Apr till early Nov - coach also coached tennis at another club.

It was not easy when he started playing in tournaments - most players had 3 private lessons weekly - that money went into his college fund. Many went to multiple week long squash camps in the summer; he went to one when he was 12 and not again till last summer when he went to 2 - at universities he wanted to attend and play squash for. A new coach was hired in the fall of his junior year - made a huge difference but the clock was running - would have helped more if it had been a year earlier. But the coach, and him being an outstanding student who has "challenged the curriculum ", maintained a 4 point average and had outstanding test scores worked. He was accepted at this first choice college - an Ivy - early decision, and will play squash for them - they are highly ranked. He's over the moon!

Of course, I'm proud of this but that's not what this is about. In Sept, his coach asked him to see how many boys at his public magnet HS might be interested in starting a squash team - no cost to the District- boys would pay a small fee to the coach. DGS asked the school - one administrator said "no" - too many sports already; another (the tennis coach) said he'd never get anyone. Twenty-five showed up for that first practice. They usually have 12-15 for each weekly practice. Oh - the entire tennis team came, too!

DGS and the coach decided that the team should go the the HS Nationals this weekend in Philadelphia. DSIL would drive part of the team in their Suburban, boy who lives next door to me would drive the rest in his mother's minivan. To say this is ambitious is an understatement; I think only two teams from Midwest schools have ever participated, both private. The list of schools participating reads like a list of the top boarding and day schools in the US.

I asked how they got excused absences for 3 days and he said his father finally convinced the school to make it an official team -adds to the luster this exceptional magnet HS already has. DGS and his coach managed to get A spots company to sponsor the team - each player got a racket, goggles, shirt, shorts and jacket- clothing with GS name and logo on it.

I asked DGS how many players are graduating seniors - all but one. But they have big plans to recruit others, starting after the tournament - already have a lot of interest. And now the entire school is psyched up about the team. I do believe it will continue. The coach has started teams with lower and middle school students at two local private schools. Someday, this may be a great town for junior squash players!

I'm just so proud of DGS getting this going. He's a natural leader and very charismatic, but he also does the work and follows through. It's an amazing accomplishment that he's done with only the support of the coach and his father (SAHF who is a big volunteer at his school and has credibility with administrators). But this is mainly due to DGS . What an amazing 17 yr old! I will miss him desperately when he goes off to college in the fall.

Comments (6)