SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joycegriffin1970

Built my boxes...How should I orientation my garden?

joycegriffin1970
16 years ago

Good morning.

I am so proud. I had my doubts about trying it, but I actually built my boxes yesterday. I have never built anything out of wood in my life. I built 2 4'x8'x6" boxes. I bought 4 2"X6" boards in 12' lengths and had them cut 4 feet off the ends. I predrilled my holes and used wood screws to hold it together. I built 2 and I may build another one (or two) just cause I can.

I am lucky enough to have quite a large unused area for a garden. It is completely unshaded by houses, fences, trees, etc. We literally call it the "back 40" because all we do with it is grow a field of weeds. We live in the back of a cul de sac and our back yard is huge (front yard is tiny). I am trying to figure out whether I should put the 8 foot section toward the North side of the garden or rather I should put the 4 foot sections. If I go with 4 boxes all 4x8, I could line them up North to South in a row with all 4 foot sections on the north side or I could switch them and run them East to West. I could also go 2 boxes by 2 boxes with either the 4 foot sections running north south or east west. Does any of this make sense?

I know you trellis on the norht side and I have quite a few things I'd like to try to trellis so it seems like I should go with one of the 2 arrangements that would give me 16 north side squares (2 8 foot sections to the north or all 4 4 foot sections to the north).

Any ideas would be helpful.

Signing off...

Novice Gardener--Joyce

Comment (1)

Sponsored