SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

Boring selection at Lowes & HD..

bethnorcal9
6 years ago

Today I decided to go see if Lowes added anything since last month. Was hoping they'd have gotten in some of the patented peat potted roses from Certified Roses. But NO. Nothing new. Same old bagged bareroots. Boring varieties.

Also stopped by Home Depot as they hadn't gotten their bareroots in last month, like usual. Wow, what a bunch of crap they got in. No Coiner roses this time. Some weird company, Pan American, and tons of these old roses, huge plants that are chopped up and put inside these little black square boxes (smaller than a 1gal pot) with plastic collars holding the poor things in the pots. Most look like they must be about 5 yrs old. Massive crowns and thick, 1"+, canes chopped down to about 4-5". I was almost tempted to buy the one BRANDY that was there, to replace the one I got last yr that never broke dormancy (to replace my old one that died a few yrs ago), but it was like the only one of the bunch that was heavily waxed, and in the pot all bent over. I think they just crammed the roots in and it was too big to be put in there. They wanted $7.98 and $10.98 for them. Not sure what the difference was as far as quality of plant for the price.. They all looked too big for the boxes.

WalMart has nothing so far.

I'm really glad they didn't have anything, actually. I don't need any new roses. I just had to go see what they got, just in case there was something I had to have! LOL

I didn't go to OSH, because I know they just carry the peat potted Weeks roses. I might check them out later when they mark 'em down....

Comments (35)