SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kpr121

Biergarten Greenhouse / Sunroom Build

Kevin Zone 6b - PIT, PA
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Well I had a much longer writeup but it somehow got lost in the Houzz stratisphere. This is the condensed summary:

Wanted greenhouse for overwintering, leafy greens, and most importantly a veggie plant sale that I have yearly benefiting the Walk MS Pittsburgh charity (my mother was diagnosed in 2016).

Was going to build something freestanding but decided to enclose my back southwestern facing porch instead. Photos for sunlight (taken at approximately 4:30 pm January 26). There is a decent sized magnolia tree directly behind me (you can see the shadow) that I've been ordered not to cut down.

We call it the "Biergarten" as the room directly to the right of the photos is my dedicated beer brewing/ wine making space.

Left:

Right:

The right and southern (rounded) walls will be (from top down):

2 ft of polycarb clear (panels layed horizontally).

42 inches of single pane old window

~22 inches of insulated wall.

Raised bed planter on outside and possibly inside for planting space and also some extra insulation.

There will be a total of 16 windows. 8 on the right side and two in each 'bay' on the southern side.

The left side will hold a mandoor and likely be enclosed/insulated.

Final solution for roof is up in the air (ha!). I think we will want additional light so there will either be skylights added (where rest of roof had copious amounts of insulation) or the entire thing will be replaced with a polycarb roof).

Floor - I pulled up an older wooden PT deck to find a nice (but busted up) hand laid flagstone patio. That will probably end up with a herringbone pattern of brick tile that I have a surplus of from a previous project.

The decking will be reused as potting benches, plant shelves, ect.

I am concerned about heating. The last thing I want is to spend $1000 a year heating a structure so I can grow a couple hundred dollars of plants.

I am open to any and all suggestions, conventional and otherwise. I've researched the various 'free' heating options including passive solar, active underground heat sink/battery, solar water heater, rocketstoves, and even exterior compost water/air heaters.

Comments (26)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus