SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

slightly OT: worst gardening advice you've ever seen

davidrt28 (zone 7)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I'm an old-time poster...I grant myself permission to bend the rules once in a while. Fact is there aren't many forums that are heavily trafficked anymore, but this is one of them.

I recently innocently googled about using ammonium as fertilizer. Yes, the ion! I know ammonium hydroxide can be burn because of its alkalinity, and I was specifically curious if there were any 'recipes' for neutralizing it with things like citric or ascorbic acid, which are available in high quality, bulk quantities for dirt cheap these days on amazon or ebay. (thanks, China! For example never buy those purpose made 'dishwasher cleansing crystals'. Insane. All they are is citric acid for 20X the price of a bulk bag.)

Anyhow, I stumbled upon this:

https://thegardeningcook.com/home-made-miracle-grow/

OM freakin G!

• 1 gallon of water
  • 1 tbsp epsom salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp of Household ammonia

Recipe for 'miracle gro'? Really? Barely enough N to do anything...and 1 TEASPOON of NaHCO3? For those plants that have a hankering for just a little more sodium!?

Please share your finds!

btw...so, if you were to use an ammonium salt other than hydroxide...to fertilize perennials...would it be more or less fast acting than nitrate forms? There, it involves perennials!

Comments (55)