SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theredhouse_gw

The House Blues (slightly OT)

TheRedHouse
10 years ago

The house across the street from me is for sale. It's almost the exact same house as mine, minus a few square feet. It was a rental for years and had a single tenant who trashed it. I think the owner lives out of state. When the tenant left about two months go and a handyman arrived, I was so hopeful that it would be cleaned up and put on the market. It was - sort of. They had an open house yesterday and since nobody was there, we asked the realtor if we could take a quick look. The house is completely empty. It's had new carpet and paint and some hasty repairs. I know it was cleaned too, but it was grimy. It looked so neglected and shoddy. It smelled heavily of cigarette smoke, even after new carpets and paint.

The whole experience made me so sad. Not just because of property values, but because it's essentially the same house as mine. My house is no palace, but I do my best by it and I think it's warm, inviting and well cared for. Going into the other house was kind of like visiting a childhood home and seeing that subsequent owners destroyed it. It's also the wasted potential that got me. Getting the smoke smell out was probably just a matter of properly priming and cleaning. The grime could be eliminated in a day or two by someone who cared enough. Some staging would make a huge difference too. It could be a little gem, but instead, it's derelict.

I realize how silly my sadness over this would sound to someone who isn't into houses, but I love houses, and decorating, and have since I was a kid. I'm hoping that maybe you all would commiserate.

Comments (17)