SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parkesse

Master Bathroom Remodel: Custom Cabinets or Refinish MDF?

parkesse
6 years ago

We are wanting to redo our master bathroom. Pretty much everything done (new shower door, shower tile, floors, new countertops). Our cabinets are original, builders grade. My husband's vanity side is pretty standard measurements of 36" wide and 34" tall. However, we've had some mold problems on his side and the cabinet is in fair condition. My vanity / cabinet side is 84" wide and 30" tall and in good condition. We've been in this house for 17 years and do not plan on living here longer than 5 - 7 more years.

If we want to completely replace the cabinets, it looks like because of my side being 84", we would have to pay for a custom build.

If we want to just paint or try to refinish the cabinets, I'm not sure how that would look or if it would work because I believe the cabinets are MDF and have the white plastic covering on them.

Question: should we pay to have custom cabinets done, it is worth it? Or, ask our contractor to try to update the cabinets as best we can? It's almost a complete bathroom remodel so I'm afraid it might look like we skimped on the cabinets if we don't completely replace them. But I don't know if it's work the thousands it would be to have them built.

Any suggestions or advice? Thank you!

Comment (1)