Why No Plant Diseases Group?
8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (13)
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years agowestes Zone 9b California SF Bay thanked albert_135 39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
- 8 years ago
Related Discussions
A picture of your best plant grouping (including a rose!)
Comments (9)Wow. Those are beautiful gardens. You all have obviously put a lot of love and care into your properties. I've just planted delphs near a climbing pink rose, so I'm looking forward to that combination from the pictures. And I really like the look of those potted cacti in the sitting area (is that Sweet William I see in the bottom left corner, or phlox?). I'm really impressed with your use of hardscaping...all the rocks, feeders, bird baths, fences and arbors. It gives me a great sense of what works! Newjersey rose, can you give me more information on Lavender Lassie? She looks like a worthwhile climber to add to my garden. Thanks again everyone...and keep adding pictures!...See Morewhy we dont plant groups of 4 trees
Comments (31)I once worked for a nurseryman/landscaper on the growing end of the operation. He had just finished a job on a road I sometimes traveled to work and he asked me my opinion. My response "what job?" I told him I didn't remember seeing any fresh landscaping at any of the business on that road. I didn't expect his reaction when he grinned and said that meant it was a huge success. LOL. He wanted a natural look and evidently got it. That being said, suggestions on landscape or any floral design is just that. They aren't cut in stone and that means you do what looks good to the eye and balances the picture. Lightening isn't going to strike you if you plant anything in an even number. If you think about it, nature does just that roughly 50% of the time. ;-) Had some gals from a gardening club come in for some sort of presentation, and a floral designer had been on their program the month before. A lady asked me to please show her which was the 'front' of her plant so she could face it forward in her pot. I told her what ever side looked best to her. She argued to me that plants indeed had a front and a back because he said so! I don't think I convinced her that he didn't mean that in the literal sense. I spent part of my growing up years in Europe and am rather a fan of formal gardens. I can go either way. I think the only thing I find really disturbing are the 'little-soldiers-in-a-row' foundation plantings or bowling ball shrubs. Oh......one more.....and it's very popuar here. They buy a gorgeous weeping ornamental tree and trim it straight around so it looks like an open umbrella. I always makes me think of Edward Scissorhands. BTW beautiful birches....See MoreDoes anyone mass plant roses in group of threes?
Comments (28)Kate and Jacque, your yards are amazing! So beautiful! I planted roses in three's for the first time last year. I have a very small garden, but wanted to put some roses in the front (for several years I resisted but couldn't any longer). I generally have groups of everything in the front border to the walkway to my house. As Jacque stated, the Austins are getting very big in their first year (and they are on their own root to boot!). I may have to move out a Lady Alex of Kent to another location. She is huge! I dont' want her attacking people as they try to get to my front door. That being said, the border by my front door is only a couple of feet wide, so I have to grow bushes/plants that don't get wide. Because I have such a small yard, everything else is planted just as one plant. I love the variety and they do fill in. Let me see if I can get some pictures of last spring. Front border back rose bed As you can see on my back bed, my Abridge Rose (front pink) and my Evelyn Rose (tall one in the back) are reverting back to root stock and will be gone this year. As will Jude the Obscure as I DON'T like this rose at all....See MoreOpinion on planting group of 3 different Austins in triangle
Comments (10)I can see planting certain Austins in 3's. I think 3 Darcey Bussells would make a nice bush shape. My Princess Alexandra of Kent is kind of a leggy thing, so 3 of her would be nice as well. On the other hand my Munstead Wood has wicked thorns and if I were to plant 3 together, I would do it in a corner so I did not have to walk near by or try and prune two other types of roses. Munstead would probably leaf out and make a nice shrub shape with the other roses you list, I do not have Lady of Shallot so no idea on her....See More- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years agowestes Zone 9b California SF Bay thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Stories

GARDENING GUIDESThe Secret Formula for Grouping Plants in a Pot
Designing a gorgeous container garden is easy once you know this simple rule of thumb for composition
Full Story
EARTH DAYSee Why Cross-Pollination Is a Plant’s Best Friend
Getting the most from a native plant landscape goes beyond plant selection. You often need compatible partners too
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESInvite Mining Bees to Your Garden by Planting Their Favorite Plants
Look for mining bees (Andrena) pollinating woodland wildflowers in U.S. gardens this spring
Full Story
FLOWERSGreat Design Plant: Sasanqua Camellia
Pretty fall flowers belie this plant's hardworking nature and relative tough attitude toward disease
Full Story
NATIVE PLANTSPlant These Fall-Flowering Natives in Early Summer for Pollinator Love
These 3 groups of plants will support masses of beneficial insects come autumn
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESGreat Design Plant: Rosa Banksiae a Low-Maintenance Beauty
This thornless, disease- and insect-resistant rose brings showers of white or yellow flowers to the spring garden
Full Story
WINTER GARDENING7 Container Plantings to Bring Winter Gardens to Life
Adding instant color but with long-lasting practicality, these plant groupings are bright spots in a slumbering wintertime garden
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNGeometric Designs Keep Plants in Line
Structure your landscape with strips and blocks for simplicity and a crisp, contemporary look
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESMake Sure You Read This Before Buying New Plants
Follow these 10 plant-selection tips to avoid buyer’s remorse
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDES10 Ornamental Grasses to Plant This Fall
Add interest to your garden with these popular warm-season and cool-season varieties
Full StoryMore Discussions
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)