2018 Book Club Reading Lists
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (25)
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Discussions
Update on what our book clubs are reading
Comments (18)Kathy- I just got The Storied Life of A.J. Fikrey and so far, I love it! Thanks for the recommendation : ) I finished the book....and I really enjoyed the first half. I think if it had ended there, I would have recommended it to many of my friends. The second half seemed like too many gaps in time and not enough detail. Almost like a different book. Maybe that was intentional or just to keep it short, but I didn't care for it. The ending was not my favorite (don't really like that type) but before any of that was even suspected, it started feeling a bit different around the topiary park. That was when it seemed unrealistic to me. I mean, do people all really act like that? One and done...then long term relationships? And Maya was so cute as a little girl. I felt like I missed a lot of her growing up. Also, I really liked the chief, but thought the closet find (and his reaction) was too contrived. Maybe someone else, but not him. This really helped though, so thank you for the recommendation! It made me realize what I like and didn't like about the pacing and this will help me layout my own story. Oh, and it was funny that I signed up for a free month of Unlimited Kindle to read the book, after starting the free peek on Amazon. Then, I got to his rant about e-readers! LOL...See MoreDecember Reading--Last Books Read in 2016
Comments (111)Carolyn, I read a couple some years ago. I must check and see if my library has reprints. I am reading my books slowly at present, there seems to be so many other things to do, like dropping off to sleep! My D gave me a small CD player for Xmas with handy top buttons. Just right for listening to recorded favourite books. I have been accumulating some in case of being confined to bed or having the eye operation for cataracts. I am doing a Scarlett O'Hara on that!...See MoreTrade list /wish list/giveaway list, for Raleigh, NC. Spring swap 2018
Comments (653)Ralph, is that guy hardy? I forgot.. As for getting to the exchange, I was surprised at how difficult it is to find it from main page. I just use these existing threads that have emails about, and go to the top and click the "Carolina Garden Exchange" button, and it brings me to it. Though I did finally find it from main page... (if not for this question I wouldn't have spent time to look, because got irritated before at being unable to find it, but found it easier this time for some reason) Go to the Stories and Advice and choose Gardenweb Discussions: Then go to the side bar and click Exchanges and Trading: That will bring you to a list of all the exchanges and can choose Carolina Exchange from there....See MoreBook club lists again - 2019
Comments (18)Here is the 2019 list for the Library Book Club. I'm not a member (yet). Jan. The Heart of a Woman - Maya Angelou Feb. The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruis Zafon March Peace Like a River - Leif Enger April The History of Love - Nicole Krauss May Wonder - RJ Palacio June The Endurance: Shakelton's Legendary Antarctic Exploration - Caroline Alexander July Maisie Dobbs - Jacqueline Winspear August The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegar September Cold Mountain - Charles Frazier October Sweet Days and Beyond - Burr Morse November The Jump Off Creek - Molly Gloss December Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress - Dai Sijie Of these, I've only read Peace Like a River (which I enjoyed very much). The Burr Morse book is about maple sugaring. He's a local um, character. If any of you have visited the Morse Farm Maple Sugarworks in Montpelier, Vermont you likely have met hm. It's a very popular attraction to tourists and natives alike. And yes, the accent is real. The book that caught my interest is The Endurance. Not my usual genre but this sounds just fascinating. The background reading I did mentions that one of the crew (a photographer) took some of the shots that are featured in the book using glass negatives he was able to save. DH has a number of glass negatives he collects and works with but this is the first time I've come across mention of them elsewhere. Our Library has a copy and I'm going to swoop in and get it on my next visit. The book club that I do belong to doesn't provide a list. The librarian/facilitator chooses the books and we find out and receive copies of the next one at the meetings. I like it that way. I don't have to anticipate something that may not appeal and while sometimes I don't love the choices, I read them and try to get something out of them. That's why I joined, after all. I may find something that I just love that otherwise I might have turned my nose up at. Our next read is Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate. I have no idea what to expect. I love reading everyone else's lists....See More- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Stories

LIFESimple Pleasures: Get a Book Club Going
Kick back with friends and a thought-provoking read for an event that’s entertaining and educational all at once
Full Story
HOMES AROUND THE WORLDWorld of Design: 11 Book Lovers and Where They Like to Read
Bibliophiles across the globe reveal their top books and favorite reading spots, from a 2-story library to an artfully curated book nook
Full Story
DECLUTTERINGHow to Let Go of Unwanted Books and Magazines
Buried in reading material? This guide will help you decide what to keep and what to give away, sell or recycle
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESNovel Ways With Bedroom Books
Reading and relaxing go hand in hand. See how designers are incorporating mini and all-out libraries in the bedroom
Full Story
LIFEHouzz Call: Where (and What) Are You Reading This Summer?
Whether you favor contemporary, classic or beach reads, do the long and lazy days of summer bring out the lit lover in you?
Full Story
ORGANIZING10 Ways to Organize Your Books That Don’t Involve Color
Get fresh ideas for displaying your books so you can enjoy them more and find the one you want
Full Story
LIFE'Not My Precious Books!' — Pain-Free Ways to Declutter Your Library
Have your books and neatness too, with these ideas for paring down and straightening up a beloved collection
Full Story
EVENTSSee the Vermont House Where Rudyard Kipling Wrote ‘The Jungle Book’
The author penned many works here, including his children’s classic, which Disney has remade into a movie
Full Story
HOME OFFICES10 Stylish Shelving Ideas in Home Offices Popular in Summer 2018
Whether lined with tall library walls or tucked into a closet, these popular home offices offer inspiration galore
Full Story
merryworld