SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikerno_1micha

Let's see your cuttings rooted or un rooted for 2018!

myermike_1micha
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Are you starting some cuttings this year?

How well are they coming along?

What do you do to get them started or rooted?

What kind of mix do you use?

How much light?

What kind of temps?

I think many of us here have our unique way of rooting cuttings and I think this kind of thread will help countless to do the same! So please, let's see what you are rooting have rooted, or want to root and whether you have had progress or failed.

I think many of us like to make doubles, triplets. and more of the same plant of

those we love or would love to share.

Mike

A few of mine

Comments (46)

• myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Few more

Variegated Black Knight

• Related Discussions

Have you started your own cuttings? Please, let's see them)

Q

Comments (35)
    I've done a few citrus cuttings over the years, a few have died due to neglect. But this is my 'best one' you can see another plastic bottle method one next to it. My method is plastic bottle cut in half, peat, perlite, fresh cutting. Plonk cutting in moist soil put lid on leave until it fills with roots. :) This post was edited by madferret on Thu, Oct 16, 14 at 3:42
    ...See More

wanted: wanted seven sisters rose rooted cutting or bare root to

Q

Comments (6)
    if interested i have multiflora var carnea. its believed to be a parent of seven sisters. i could have a rooted start for you by late summer. also looking at your wanted list, ill also will have holly hock seeds to. here is a picture of the multiflora var carnea last year alittle after full bloom. i can send you a picture of it in a week or two when its in full bloom. if you'd like. Travis
    ...See More

Plumeria tip rot on un-rooted cutting?

Q

Comments (13)
    Thank you edzone9, the_first_kms2 and gaguy. I'm happy to hear that all is not lost... yet. I have been trying to patiently wait for any change. I want to believe that it's looking better, but it's hard to tell if something is different when you stare at it everyday. :/ edzone9- thank you for your advice. :) the_first_kms2- when I noticed the tip, my first thought was "No wonder this was on sale". My next thought was that it got 'frostbite' from being shipped in the belly of a cargo plane. I came here to the forums and learned enough to worry that it was black tip. You are right about the heat source too. All the cuttings and seedlings are located in the sunniest part of my apartment, which also happens to be the warmest, but no direct heat source. I read the forum enough to know that I could push my zone and grow plumeria in New Mexico, but it wasn't until after i had everything in pots that I found the threads regarding rooting in water/Gatorade bottles. It's starting to be warm enough during the day that I'm willing to take them outside for a few hours, but that's the best I can do right now. gaguy- thank you for your pictures. Makes me feel a lot better if I eventually do have to cut the tip.
    ...See More

(un)rooted cuttings breaking bud

Q

Comments (32)
    @illsstep - No I have not rooted any of the conifers I am attempting right now. In the past I've done the following: Successful: Thuja standishii × plicata 'Green Giant', Juniperus horizontalis 'Blue Chip', Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Lemon Twist', Tsuga canadensis 'Gentsch White', Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Mariesii' Failed: Abies numidica 'Glauca', Picea abies 'Bird Park', Sciadopitys verticillata, Tsuga chinensis, Cryptomeria japonica 'Knaptonensis' I would much prefer grafting over rooting, except when it's really easy to root (Thuja) or compatible rootstock is difficult to obtain, or in the case of Sciadopitys verticillata, seeds are hard to find and take forever to grow to the size needed to be used for grafting. While I did classify my own statements about Dirr as a rant, it was actually an honest critique, and the thread you provided a link to was actually very useful. Tapla is very knowledgeable, and I am a huge fan of the 5-1-1 mix, so I trust his assessment about water rooting. I never know that. It was also interesting that he points out the fact that a rooting aid is really only necessary in the most hard to root species....which supports the foolishness of recommending it for one of the easiest to root species.
    ...See More
  • Crenda 10A SW FL
    6 years ago

I'm lucky enough to be able to root outside at most any time of year. And I do. If it falls off of a plant, or if I prune it, I try to root it. Generally, I don't pay a lot of attention to the temperature - unless it is really Florida cold, in the low 40s or 30s.

Leaves that fall off outside might be tucked into the ground to root and grow right there. Or I might throw them on the counter in bright shade.

And I tuck sprouts into some gritty mix (or sometimes just start them there). On the right is my usual gritty mix. On the left is a mix of turface and perlite fines - tried this because I had it available after sifting. It retains too much water, btw. These are in full sun.

I have a few compact jades. LOL And the pots that look empty have some small aloe pups in them.

Here are some Aloe juvenna rooting.

I have some beheaded Graptosedums rooting.

This is my 3rd attempt to root some Senecio. Too early to tell how this will work.

My current favorite pot of clippings is this one of Poinsettias. I don't usually have much luck with these. Last year my poinsettias suffered a major mealy infestation, then they suffered in the dark humid area where I put everything behind hurricane shutters when Irene blew through. They lost all their leaves and really looked sad. So I plunked some small cuttings into a pot that another poinsettia plant had come in. (that explains the peaty potting mix)

As you can see, this is not the right time of year to make cuttings of Poinsettias. The other plants all bloomed, even if the regular leaves were scant.

My winters are dry, so that may be why things root well in the fall and winter. I have more clippings rot during the summers - when it is wet, hot and very humid.

Edit - Irene?? It was Hurricane Irma! Don't know what I was thinking? LOL

myermike_1micha thanked Crenda 10A SW FL
  • socks
    6 years ago

Just waiting for me to get busy. They aren’t the most interesting succulents. But fill in nicely when planted in the ground. Easy plants.

myermike_1micha thanked socks
  • rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago

Few recent cuttings: S. rubrotinctum; Gasteria - few didn't make it and dried up - they are very small, pot is 2". Bottom right is cutting of C. pellucida variegata:

Couple of pots of P. afra:

myermike_1micha thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Rina wow. You are so good at doing this. Very impressive. Please keep us updated and in winter to boot ! Bravo

Socks terrific!! What a bunch of cuties.

Crenda. So proud of you !! Beautiful plants you have there. The pinkish one to die for

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago

Mike - I have a problem...can't really discard a living thing (but I have made myself recently, and disposed off excessive leaves and even few cuttings!!!)

Another cutting of P. afra but started in Fall 2017 - finally well rooted:

...and few sans...hope they make it:

• socks
    6 years ago

I know, Rina. Sometimes I feel like a murderer. I planted most of those on the table and will put the rest into pots to give away assuming they root. Beautiful sans!! I don't have one. They are common outdoor plants here and very often are neglected and look bad. Those make me think I need one.

myermike_1micha thanked socks
  • rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago

socks

Thank you. Photo is not so great, quite overexposed. They are much nicer color. I can't wait until its warm enough to put most plants outside - that is when my neighbours want some too, but not when it is so cold as has been so far :)

What are the cuttings on top in your photo?

• Jeff (5b)
    6 years ago

Can I play? I can't discard a living thing either,if it's a plant. I've had my wife throw a plant or two away that I really didn't want.

I absolutely love free plants. We propagate first, worry about room for them after. Some of these were started before I changed from peat moss based soil, so please forgive me.

I'm extremely impatient with leaf cuttings and take the plant away too early. I also divide them. These were so small at one point that I had to put some sand on the top so that they wouldn't just lie on their side.

I'm the world's worst pencil cactus propagator, but I keep trying. These have rooted while just as many rotted because I did it wrong.

A little bit of everything. Aeoniums never work! I'll have to behead mine, although it's not my favorite.

Haworthias. One is rootless and the others have one root. Keeping these dry until something happens. Mother plant below.

Perle von Nurnberg was beheaded. The other E.s were grown from leaf cuttings.

Top of our refrigerator.

A friend found these in a dark corner of his living room and gave them to me today. More fodder for bonsai. These are all just phone photos. Color on the one below is way off.

myermike_1micha thanked Jeff (5b)
  • myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    6 years ago

JeffO, you keep that up you may have to get yourself a huge greenhouse or something!@! Wow. So many different colors and roots. Very nice. I am the same way. If I leaf drops off, if I accidentally break a branch, if I want spares, if I am afraid to loose one and want a back up or if I just want to have fun, I make more and more. Sometimes I think it would be a great little business to sell a few..

Rina, I have still yet to grow one of a Sans..It has to be unusual and quite pretty to take a spot in my room, and yours fit the bill. Beautiful!

What a pretty P.Afra!!Love it. So bonsai looking.

Here are a few more of some of mine..

• myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• Jeff (5b)
    6 years ago

Mike, there is a Facebook group where people sell succulents. I could sell some, but since I don't have much room, I don't know if it would be worth the trouble, or maybe just selling them would take some fun out of it and add stress. I would have a lot more room in the basement if I didn't grow Coleuses from fall to spring under a 4' four lamp grow light. I would love to do some trading someday. Is there ever a trading thread here? Not to derail this thread. Back to your normally scheduled programming...

• tanpexoctics Willis
    6 years ago

Here's a few

myermike_1micha thanked tanpexoctics Willis
  • socks
    6 years ago

Rina I think it’s Crassula undulata. Ripply leaf, not too thick.

• nanzjade z5 MA
    6 years ago

Hi Mike.....Your cuttings look fantastic! I hope you & your mom are doing well. I've been playing with the kitten a lot and trying to catch up on watering plants.

Just starting to see roots on these :)

Closer view, there is a root looking for the soil. (I covered it after the pic)

I gave them a little water this morning while the sun was shinning upon them.

This Mother gollum

has this little cutting underneath

This was a solid area of Hummel's Ghost, I think it's then called Hellios.

Crenda, wow you have been busy! I hope you have many off sets for Spring.

Rina, I love all those burros tails... one of my favorites.

-Nancy

myermike_1micha thanked nanzjade z5 MA
  • aloebot
    6 years ago

I have the same problem as Rina. It's hard to throw live things out. Some of the current over-grown plants getting a new pot. The last picture are some cuttings I've taken that I will use when I give a talk to some ladies from High School. I will be showing how I make my mix. I will also talk about watering (less) and air and lighting. Do these cuttings look like they might be of interest to my group?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago

Wow, nice cuttings. I am sure ladies will like them. What are the long plants with the roots?

Are potted ones - Aeoniums, Sans - all your divisions?

Not really cuttings - just finding fallen leaves growing into new plants - if they survive:

Growing from decapitated stems:

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

Aloebot those 2 Aloes are beautiful what are they?

• aloebot
    6 years ago

Rina; Crassula tetragona ssp. robusta. Yes, once the Aeos and Sans reach a critical mass they kind of grow out of control. If you notice there are some small Gollums. I have a little forest of them under a very large mama plant. You need to get Jeff to stop by when he is down here so I can send the Sansevieria back with him.

Kara; They are a variegated form of Aloe arborescens.

Does anyone know what the powder blue Pachy looking plants might be? They have a scorpion shaped flower stalk with pink/orange flowers.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago

Does it look like this one?

• aloebot
    6 years ago

Yes!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago

Two possibilities suggested to me: xPachyveria clavata or Pachyphytum 'Blue Haze'; I am not sure which one it is. Here are some more pics of mine; same plant on lower right before I got 'better lights' :) - it was outside, but now is more compact under lights. I already beheaded it; blooming part is what I cut off:

In case you are interested:

xPachyveria clavata

Parentage: Pachyphytum bracteosum x E. sp.

The plant is common in cultivation but nearly always under the wrong name Echeveria or x Pachyveria ‘Clavifolia’.

x Pachyveria ‘Clavata’ is sometimes confused with x P. ‘Scheideckeri’ because young plants look somewhat similar. Older plants look different: x P. ‘Clavata’ has quite a long stem, the inflorescence is 2- to 3- furcate, the bracts are larger and do not fall off when the inflorescence is spent and the petals have appendages at the base.

Pachyphytum 'Blue Haze':

Hybrid; parents: Pachyphytum bracteosum & Pachyphytum glutinale
    Also sold as P. 'Blue Pearls'; P. bracteosum; xPachyveria

• Jeff (5b)
    6 years ago

This is from a leaf cutting I don't know what is is other than Echeveria. The leaves will get more frilly over time. The parent plant has relatively longer and narrower leaves from not enough light. This looks so much better. 2" pot.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago

Jeff

Very nice & compact plant.

Frilly one with longer & narrower leaves could be E. shaviana - my plant in probably not enough light:

But yours look more like E. 'Neon breakers' to me:

• aloebot
    6 years ago

Thanks Rina. I have never had a clue as to what this is. It is very prolific. I think it may still have some blooms on it. If so, I will try to get a picture tomorrow.

• aloebot
    6 years ago

Mike; what kind of luck are you having with the Senecio? Kleinia? in the 2nd set of pictures?

• Krista Shaffer (Philly 7b)
    6 years ago

Some Jade ‘monstrose’ aka: all lotr varieties combined. I think these leaves are all Hobbits, but the mom plant as Gollum and Legolas leaves.

Some e. Purposorum leaves I managed to root.

Varigaged Haworrhia cymbiformis from a leaf

• Jeff (5b)
    6 years ago

Seek and you will find.

Another example of me taking the plant away from the leaf too soon, but it's doing well. It's tiny.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago

Few more cuttings - no roots yet. They are 2 - 3" tall from the soil line. C. ovata 'Crosby's Compact':

• Chris (6a in MA)
    6 years ago

I have a Cremnosedum "Little Gem". I bought this a year ago and it made very little progress - it barely grew after it bloomed. So, I decided to cut all branches and restart as cuttings and stuck it all on the square plastic pot, yes ALL branches leaving the round terra cotta pot with nothing but rooted stump. The cuttings all rooted and became established but remained a slow grower - like at a glacial pace. The original plant (or whats left of it) on the other hand was given the same amount of light and watered in the same manner as the square plant. Lo and behold, the plant came back with a vengeance and seemed to outgrow the cuttings. Noted the significant variation in the shape of the foliage as well as its color. I'm happy either way.

• Jeff (5b)
    6 years ago

A Haworthia coarctata (I think) has rooted for me. I took this photo in front of exactly the wrong background so I circled them. At first, I thought the things in the blue circle were roots. I pulled one out to check on them and found these monsters. Then I remembered that Haworthias have big root systems. Nice to see because the parent plant is super stressed, red, and the leaves won't plump up (any advice on that, let me know), so I want to start over, even if it isn't one of my favorites.

That stem in the background is a beheaded Aeonium.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    6 years ago

JeffO: "... Haworthias have big root systems" not necessarily true, most of mine don't (I only grow indoors).

Pardon my interrupting the thread, w/out adding pix (I haven't taken pix of cuttings in a while.)

• Jeff (5b)
    6 years ago

Karen, I want to say maybe you're plants don't have good roots in a joking way, but I can't find a way to word it. I'm sure your roots are fine (as in OK). The roots are definitely thicker in general--as the photo shows and I've seen from repotting--as compared to something like the Echeverias. Maybe I didn't use the right word.

• Skyler, N. TX
    6 years ago

I have lots of propagated leaves, most were knocked off or removed from a cutting.

This one has a very sad looking Echeveria (got burned last summer; middle is still green so there's hope), Graptosedum alpenglow (left), Sedum adolphii cutting & leaves, and a tiny E. perle von nurnberg

Many more G. alpenglows, a sad surviving Sedum morganianum (hasn't grown roots after almost a year?), and attempted Echeveria leaves (some have very tiny plants but not sure what to do next with them)

A few more G. alpenglows, another S. morganium, more S. adolphii, and tiny E. plantlets.

My tray of S. morganium that haven't grown roots either

And the ones that haven't grown plantlets/roots yet or are dried leaves.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago

Jeff

I have what has been ID-ed as either H. coarcata or reinwardtii. I have only one sp, so can't really compare, and comparing to photos, often I can't tell difference. My plants are relatively compact, they get 'leftover' light indoors. Outside, they are amongst other plants and could be bit shaded by other plant. They offset quite easy (as described in H. reindwartii). There are 21 offsets right now from 5 older plants:

..."Genus Haworthia was divided recently in three genera Haworthia, Haworthiopsis and Tulista.

In cultivation H. coarctata is very easy species. Needs little bit more exposed situation to let plants grow compactly. It can be easily propagation by offsetts or stem-cutting.

H. reinwardtii is proliferous species forming clumps in nature. Under H. reinwardtii are described forms olivacea, zebrina, kaffirdriftensis and chalumnensis. In cultivation it needs more sunny position to show its beauty. It is an easy species to grow.

The differences between the two species are following: H. coarctata has tubercles smaller and more smoothly rounded, whereas in H.reinwardtii they are frequently large and tend to be flattened and whiter. The forms of H. reinwardtii are often more striking because of the larger white tubercles"...

• Jeff (5b)
    6 years ago

Thanks Rina, last night I posted on the Haworthians thread that I found the 20 year old label for the parent plant, which was given to me. It's labeled as Haworthia reinwardtii v. tenuis, but it looks like that's a synonymn, and it' more likely called a H. coarctata var. tenuis. I don't know about all of that naming stuff, but it's confusing because it looks like a coarctata because of the smaller and more smoothly rounded tubercles, as your quote shows.

I've seen some photos I took quite a few years ago and it looked a little more plump. That's why I'm trying to start over. I want to take some even shorter stem cuttings and grow them more compact, which means they'll be browner too.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

20 year old label! Congrats on finding that one;)!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago

Jeff

I think your plant is etiolated - but am sure you are giving it better light now and should have soon more compact growth. I never tried stem cuttings or leaves, since there are plenty of offsets (I have given few away beside what I have left). I do not go out of my way to giving them best light, but obviously they need some in my dark basement. One is growing in a pot with large sans, and big jade next to it that shades it. It has 4 offsets, all quite recent. This is darkest some of mine got, indoors:

• Jeff (5b)
    6 years ago

Kara, it was really nice to find, even if it isn't accurate, at least by how they're named now. It got me to find out that it's really a Haworthiopsis coarctata v. tenuis. The other old label I found was Aloe descoingsii x A. hawothioides.

Rina, I didn't even really realize it was etiolated until Pagan told me. He also said this variety likes sun, or at least brighter light than many other ones. So it will be pretty much brown, but I'd rather have that and it be more compact. I'd be happy if they look as good as yours, even if it isn't a plant I especially like. The old plant is tired and I don't know if it will produce any more offsets, but I'll repot it. It was easy enough to do stem cuttings.

• Jeff (5b)
    6 years ago

This might be an E. PvN, from a leaf cutting. I posted it above almost three weeks ago. I love how water drops appear to sit suspended like that on some small Echeverias, with light refracting through them.

If you look close, you can see the four bulbs of my florescent fixture in the water drop.

I don't know what this is; it's from a leaf cutting.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago

2nd looks similar to S. hernandenzi(i?) - but could I see more of plant? (leaves should be 'cracked'). I think that one is slow grower.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    6 years ago

May I pls ask how does one assess for etiolation in a form like Reinweindtii? Since it doesn't have the same type of leaves & spacing, what are you seeing that tells you that? Color or tightness of growth?

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    6 years ago

Wow, pretty great pic, that first one, the drop almost doesn't look real!

• Jeff (5b)
    6 years ago

Rina, that's pretty much it, but I could shoot it from a different angle at some point. I think this was a leaf on the floor of a store.

Karen, I mentioned that I didn't realize mine was etiolated, but now I can see it. If you look at these cuttings, which look exactly the same as the parent, the leaves aren't right up against each other vertically, if that makes sense, like Rina's are. I think it also makes it appear skinnier, which always did bother me. I also don't think they should be pointing out like that, possibly reaching for light, they should be tight together. So it's both vertical and horizontal, kind of. They aren't as plump as they should be, but maybe that's a different matter.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago

Jeff

Plant I think could be S. hernandenzii is very slow grower I think; and leaves look cracked. I have couple of leaves, but they are taking forever to grow - I think this is about 6mo or so:

Pagan has fantastic looking plant, see photo in this thread

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz