SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rayann1980

Plumeria tip rot on un-rooted cutting?

Rayann
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Please and thank you in advance for any help/advice. I ordered this Charlotte Ebert cutting from a nursery in California. The order was placed on 02/09/16 and the cuttings arrived decently quick (less than 9 days, can't remember exact). The cuttings sat in a cool, but not cold, area of my kitchen with no bright light for 3 or 4 days while I was getting all my supplies ready. I have several concerns regarding my new cuttings & seedlings, but I'm the most worried about this one. In the top picture, looking above and slightly to the right of the drop is a small circle where I pierced it with a sewing needle to check for latex bleed. The section of the top that looks wrinkled is soft. If anyone could tell me (or better yet, help me figure out) the next step, I would really appreciate it. My questions are:

What is happening?

Is this cutting salvageable?

Is this the part (dread) where I break out the shears and start cutting until I see healthy tissue?

Can/should I even cut the tip off?

As I'm about 99% sure that there are no roots at this point, how badly will cutting the tip off (if need be) affect the rooting process?

Is that white stuff mold?!

At least two of my other cuttings (from the same nursery) have very dark/black areas on the tips also, but this is the worst one. I want to 'nip this in the bud', so to speak, as soon as possible. Again, thank you (whom ever you may be) for any tips/help/advice. -Rayann

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting