SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
geezer1956

Permanent foster cat?

c t
6 years ago

Soooo... in December I got a call from the shelter. Could I foster a diabetic cat fora few weeks? Owner not ready to relinquish cat, but has a new baby and can't seem to get the cat's blood level steady. Shelter employee told me the cat had other issues, but in fact, the diabetes is well controlled.

I've had him since the beginning of December. They're not asking for him back or listing him for adoption. He's a lovely animal, but the fact is, I can't afford a diabetic cat. They have paid for everything so far, though. And the other issue is that with injections twice a day at 12 hour intervals, we have no life. One of our friends had an open house around Christmas, and by the time we got there, (7:30 pm) most everyone else was headed home. (Yes, we are getting up in years!) Another event came up last week. I wouldn't be there until about an hour before it ended, so I opted not to bother at all. I live in a rural area, so I'm not seeing a whole lot of pet sitters who'll give injections, too. I suspect the folks at the shelter, while kind hearted, have sorta pulled a fast one here and want us to keep him forever. Man-friend has fallen in love with cat. (sigh) Household permanent resident cat has stopped trying to kill him and only plagues him now.

Do shelters sometimes do this? I would think they would want a definitive answer from the real owner as to whether she wants him back or is surrendering him, so someone may adopt him. Yes,I know I should ask them, but like I said, I think they're hoping we keep him forever.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH