SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kris_dow

Finding a style for a bland-box house?

KD
6 years ago

Due to recent family events, we are looking at moving into my parents’ home. It needs a fair amount of updating but it is in a better location and a better school district, so the work is likely worth it.

The trouble I’m having is I can’t seem to get my head around what would ‘fit’ the house. Our current home is a 1930s American Four Square which was remuddled somewhat over the years, but still has period details like trim on the window, which helps inform decisions since we’ve been trying to be sympathetic to the original details. My parents’ house was built in the 1970s and is, well, a bland box. No trim, no real architectural details, and I think it would look weird to add trim or architectural details of the kind in our current house.

I know there are lots of bland box houses, and they can’t all look awful, so it must be possible to establish an idea of where to go. Any ideas? I don’t care for 1970s style in general so even if the house had some features from the time period, I wouldn’t particularly want to play them up. I’ve been trying to just go through photos on Houzz for inspiration, but nothing is grabbing me because I keep focusing on stuff more suited for this house.

(We want to have all the work done before we move, so we can’t move into the house and live in it for a while first, which is usually what I’d do. For example, we’re planning to redo the kitchen, which definitely needs to happen first so we don’t have to live with the mess.)

Comments (28)