SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miyajima2018

Help! Decor ideas for bland modern new build

miyajima2018
6 years ago

Hi everyone! Hope you can help.

My partner and I have just bought a new flat in London. It is a lovely south facing apartment with brilliant views, however internally it lacks character and is a plain box! My usual style is slightly Scandinavian, arty, eclectic and so this is a bit of a departure for me! The kitchen/living room has a modern dark grey kitchen with a fixed island and hob (see photos). The walls are all white and a bit too bland.

I would be super grateful for ideas about the following:

- I plan to paint all the walls another colour - e.g. more of a soft grey or tonal white to warm up the place before furnishing.

I have loads of books and was going to line one wall of the living space with Ikea Billy bookcases to warm up the place.

- Any ideas about furniture colours? The only piece I already own is a media unit which is a mid-century modern style in wood so I was thinking mid-century modern might be quite good? I don't like super modern furniture everywhere and want the place to feel warm and homely.

- Would you recommend painting the splashbacks and bits of white wall surrounding the grey kitchen units at one end of the room? I feel like it could take a darker / bolder colour like navy blue or something just in that area?? The grey units are a bit stark again the white otherwise, but we can't afford to change them and I don't think they would paint well.

- the island juts out into the room quite a bit leaving less space for sofa area AND dining table. But I do want a table to eat at. Any ideas for clever furniture placement?

I would love to hear your views and thank you!!!

Comments (11)