SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

So what gets your sap rising?

User
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

With apologies for lengthy waffling (because winter).

It is still endurance month here in the UK...and even the little whiffs of coming spring (snowdrops, a few stray crocus, the odd hellebore bud) is still not doing much to tempt me from the sofa (and the knitting)...but nonetheless, the daily dogwalks are becoming enlivened by an increasingly enthusiastic chorus of birdsong. However, not even trips to the greenhouse to inspect the seedling pots and sow more, really makes me feel that the season has turned yet...while the allotment is a muddy no-go area. So yep, grinding it out and hanging on until my most beloved auriculas rise from their shabby heaps of naked gnarly stems(apart from a few bedraggled remnants of leafage). I was out there earlier, appalled at the pitiful sight of damply brown, transparent leaves and far too much stemmage (because I was neglectful and lax, failing to split them all back in July)...but lo, one tiny seedling, sown in hope 2 years ago, from ridiculously expensive, hand-pollinated Barnhaven seed, has put out a single, minuscule flower...in the deepest ruby red. From now, until the soft April rains, I will be outside, possibly several times a day, checking, sniffing and marvelling at this miniature harbinger of better days. And when the Crimson and Gold japonica blooms emerge, next to the black timber arbour, I will definitely know I have survived another winter.

So, when do you emerge from winter drear and what, specifically, sparks that green fuse (cheers, Dylan Thomas) to push you through the last dark days until the returning sun?

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living