SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ramblerlife

Converting Garage to gain more livable space

Bridget
6 years ago
Hi there! I've posted here before and always enjoyed the ideas that folks share. After lots and back and forth we've decided that converting our 500 square foot garage to living space and building a detached 2 car garage in the back of our property is the best route.

Here's the back story: My husband and I own a 1000 square foot rambler. When we purchased it 5 years ago we did an extensive remodel. Everything from the roof to the plumbing to a brand new gas furnace and duct work and all the cosmetic updates. The 2 car garage was given new drywall and a new cement floor. At the time it was just us. Now we have kids and need more space. Our home sits on a large 11,000 square foot lot with alley access. So the plan is build a large detached 2 car garage with living space above (thinking potential rental or private guest space for visiting family).

I'd love some design ideas on how to make the front of our house look cohesive and not scream "garage conversion" from the curb appeal. One good thing is that none of the other rambler houses on our block have garages.

I was thinking it might be nice to relocate the front door to where the current garage door is and remove the carport and rework the driveway. The idea behind relocating the front door would be to create more of an entry before you get to the main part of the house. The way it is currently set up you open the door and bam! You're in the open living room, kitchen space. I'd love to have a receiving room or foyer and keep the current living room more as a casual family room off the kitchen.

Comments (80)