SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trysomethingnew15

Convert garage to living space in 1100 sq ft ranch

I have read many opinions regarding garage to living space renovations on this page and understand that most people feel this is a poor decision due to loss of garage (resale) and poor flow of living space. Despite this I would like to hear recommendations and opinions on our current situation.

My family of 4 lives in a 1100sq ft raised ranch with a partially finished basement - please see floor plan. We would like to add a third BR on the main floor, mud room as well as a larger dining room to accommodate family meals.

We've had an architect as well as construction company give recommendations and quotes for ADDITIONS. We are limited due to our well location and road easement. Ultimately the addition quote for bumping out both behind and in front of the garage to create living space and keep a garage was $200,000. We are also not interest in putting a second story on the house. A $200,000 investment is not something we are interested in at this point.

If we can add more living space we would hope to stay in this house for 20+ so resale is not a huge concern.

We understand a garage to living space renovation will still be expensive but we were hoping closer to the $100,000 range. Our HVAC can handle the additional living space. We would plan on raising the floors.

We desire an open concept and hope this space could flow well with our current house If anyone has ideas for the flow (floor plan) of new space, location of doors as well as simple porch or pergola addition where old garage doors were we are all ears.

Thank you for your help, opinion, time and interest!

Above: Thinking of removing the entire grey wall to open into garage/new living space.

Ab

Comments (8)