SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weltyk11

Where can I buy blueberry seeds that I know the variety of?

weltyk11
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello guys,

I'm a fairly successful gardener and I am looking to expand my operation but I cannot find anywhere online that I can buy stratified southern highbush blueberry seeds that actually name the variety that I am buying. I don't want to buy a mix of different highbush varieties I want to know specifically what strain of plant I am growing. I have a list of the strains I am looking for below. If anyone knows anywhere reliable I can find any of these I will reimburse you with some free blueberry bushes in a year or two! Scouts honor. I am really stumped here guys.

Thanks

Early season cultivars:

• Climax: Plants require 450 chilling hours. This cultivar has a concentrated fruit set with small to medium sized fruit. Recommended cross pollination with Premier or Austin.
  • Vernon: PP19291. Requires 450 hours of chilling. Flowers 7 days after Climax, but ripens before Climax and Premier. Fruit are large, firmness is excellent, and have good flavor and color. Recommended cross pollination with Alapaha.
  • Alapaha: PP16266. Requires 450 to 500 chilling hours. This cultivar has a medium size fruit with good firmness and flavor. Flowers 7 to 10 days after Climax, which helps avoid spring freeze damage to flowers. Recommended cross pollination with Vernon.
  • Austin: Plants require 500 chilling hours. Plants are productive and produce medium-large berries. Recommended cross pollination with Climax or Premier.
  • Titan™: PP applied for. Requires 500 to 550 hours of chilling. Fruit are very large – larger than Vernon or Premier. Flavor and color are good, but fruit may crack under wet conditions during ripening. Recommended cross pollination with Vernon.
  • Premier: Requires 550 chilling hours.Plants produce medium to large sized fruit. Recommended cross pollination with Austin or Alapaha.

Midseason cultivars:

• Brightwell: Requires 400 chilling hours. Fruits are medium to large size, but may split during wet weather. Recommended cross pollination with Austin or Premier.
  • Powderblue: Plants require 600 chilling hours. Plants have good production of medium sized, light blue fruit. Recommended cross pollination with Tifblue or Brightwell.
  • Tifblue: Requires 650 chilling hours. Plants produce small to medium size fruit, which must get fully ripe or they will be tart.

Late season cultivars:

• Baldwin: This late maturing cultivar requires 450 to 500 chilling hours. The plants have moderate yield and high vigor. The fruit are large, of good quality and very dark blue color. Cross pollinate with Brightwell, Powderblue, and Centurian.
  • Centurian: Centurian plants need 550 to 600 chilling hours for fruiting. The fruit are very good quality, medium-sized, firm, and darkish-blue. The fruit may crack with heavy rainfall. Pollinate with Brightwell, Ochlockonee, and Powderblue.
  • Ochlockonee: PP17300. Requires 650 to 700 chilling hours. This cultivar is very productive with fruit larger than Tifblue. Fruit has good color, firmness and flavor. Recommended cross pollination with Powderblue.
  • Onslow: This cultivar has fruit slightly larger and darker than Powderblue. For fruiting the plants require 500 to 600 chilling hours. The plants are productive and vigorous. It has been reported that Onslow may tolerate soils of a higher pH than other cultivars. The fruit are large, with very good firmness and a medium blue color.

Early season cultivars:

• Georgia Dawn™: PP16756. Plants require 300 to 400 chilling hours. Fruit are medium to large size with a medium dark blue color. Fruit have acceptable firmness with outstanding flavor. Plants are vigorous growers and very early ripening. Recommended cross pollination with Rebel.
  • Palmetto: PP17656. Chilling requirement is 350 to 450 hours. Fruit are medium sized with a medium dark blue color with acceptable firmness. Plants are very productive and have good vigor. Recommended cross pollination with Suziblue.
  • Rebel: PP18138. Plants require 400 to 450 chilling hours. The fruit are large with good to excellent color and firmness. Fruit can become bland if they remain on the plant too long. Plants are productive. Recommended cross pollination with Suziblue.
  • Southern Slendour: PP22692. Fruit are medium to medium-large, very firm and with outstanding flavor. Plants produce a medium yield. The chilling requirement is 450 to 550 hours. Recommended cross pollination with Suziblue.
  • Blue Suede™: PP21222. Plants are productive with attractive light blue fruit. Fruit are large and flavorful. The chilling requirement is 500 to 550 hours. Recommended cross pollination with Camellia or Palmetto. The fall foliage has a deep red color.
  • Summer Sunset™: PP applied for. Chilling requirement is 500 to 550 hours. Fruit are medium sized and multi-colored as they go through the stages of ripening (first yellow-green, then orange-red, to red, to purple, and finally black). The plant is vigorous. Recommended cross pollination with Titan.

Midseason cultivars:

• Suziblue: PP21167. The chilling requirement is 400 hours or less. This cultivar has fruit that are large, with very good firmness, and good flavor. Plants are vigorous. Recommended cross pollination with Rebel.
  • Camellia: PP18151. The chilling requirement is 500 hours. The fruit are large, firm and flavorful. The plants are vigorous growers. Recommended cross pollination with Suziblue. Plant Growth Cycle & Yields

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County