SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amyloo222

L shaped living area color

amyloo222
6 years ago

I need help. I've never been one to fuss much about paint colors and was usually happy enough with beige or white. I recently moved into this older house with a large L shaped living area. Most of the walls in the house are SW "realist beige," which I love, but these browns have to go! The first two pictures are from the listing. My living room furniture is dark brown leather and my dining set is a wood that matches the windowsills, ceiling beam, mantle, and trim. Should I keep the large wall as an accent wall? I've considered a medium greyish blue/green for the large wall and a darker neutral grey for the fireplace area.

This picture is SW Minimalist Grey and Behr "in the moment," which looks robin's egg in this picture, but depending on the time of day and lighting, it can look greener & greyer, which is fine with me. In fact, I'm color-shy, so this would be a huge step for me. I've also considered SW "halcyon green" or "coastal Plain." The picture below has the same colors as the one above, but I added "coastal plain" and the light changed. I don't have a sample for halcyon green yet, but it is a bit darker and more blue and grey than coastal plain.

My question is this: should I even bother coming up with a new color for the large dark brown wall, or should I paint it Realist Beige and do the fireplace something else? It really is a large space, and I think I'm ready to add a bit of color in my life, but I'm afraid of having a huge wall with a color that is obnoxious. The ceiling goes up to 13' and I don't want to have to paint it twice.

Comments (2)