Some interesting experience buying groceries today
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (25)
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Discussions
Spent $110 at the grocery today
Comments (9)Wow, 29 cents a pound is a deal! Like jane, we also got our bird for 48 cents a pound after having to pay $25.00 for other items. But it's easy enough to spend that and then some! I couldn't begin to estimate how much our Thanksgiving dinner cost because both hubby and I have been picking up stuff here and there at Aldi's, Sam's and our local grocer. I bought a HUGE pumpkin pie at Sam's for $7.88. I don't think I could bake one that big and spend much less for all the ingredients that it takes. The only extra things I have to get are the green beans, yams, turkey wings to do a make-a-head gravy and fresh rolls that I'll pick up the day before. I make my own corn bread for the stuffing, and I have all the ingredients for that....See MoreGrocery Prices for Today.
Comments (16)I shopped last week at Sharp Shopper. Celery, 69â, broccoli 59â a pound, cucumbers 39â each. They had Domino Pure Cane sugar 5 lbs 2.99. I'm stocking up on that; I have 20 lbs now. I only buy one brand of milk; it is $3.49 a gallon. The best find for me was WHITE potatoes. They had 10 lb bags for $7 something and 5 lb bags for $3 something. They also had 10 lb bags of the same potatoes, in bags that were marked "unclassified." On the bag it explained what that meant: misshaped, possibly a cut or black spot, etc. They were $2.99 a bag. I got the unclassified ones. They are perfect after you peel them. I've made soup, and today I made potato salad. They have that good earthy flavor that white potatoes have. A few are big enough to bake. I will surely buy those again if they have them when I need potatoes. BTW on the bag it said "Grown in the USA." I do love a bargain. Sue...See MoreJust some random Northeast CL buys that may interest someone here?
Comments (10)Thank you my3dogs! That little Georgian chest looks interesting but not exactly what am looking for. II would like something with a bit of umph to it. That chest is definitely a great price but very close in looks to what is currently there. That French love seat is fabulous! That would look wonderful at the foot of my bed if the fabric didn't have red in it! Kswl and jlc, our CL here is beyond cringe worthy. It is truly embarrassing that our area has so little to offer. The one consignment shop that I have purchased several things from and who tout themselves as high end is a joke anymore. I always feel grungy and dirty when I leave there. I stopped by today because Sherwin Williams is the shop right next to them and I needed paint for Monday. There was not an item there that would be worth carting home at any price....See MoreNew Grocery Experience
Comments (15)Grocery stores seem to have such a low bar. Wegmans is great; there are many PNW stores that just blow the doors off of anything... PCC Markets in Seattle -- they are more expensive, but do show what nice merchandising, selection, etc. can do. Fresh produce (not tired, beat up, etc.) and local ...when the Pence peaches come in, its crazy. It IS more expensive to shop that way regularly, but one would think there's a happy medium between the hard, unattractively merchandised stuff we generally see (NE). Winco is not super fancy but the prices and produce are great, and they do have some interesting stuff (fresh garbanzo beans...had never seen them before)...I know the margins are tight in that industry but there are clearly different models....See More- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
Related Stories

It's Cold. We're Cranky. Buy Some Flowers!
15 Colorful Reminders That Spring Will Come Again
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESA Beginner's Mini Guide to Buying Antiques
Experience the thrill of the hunt without ignorance ruining the spoils, with this guide to antiquing for novice buyers
Full Story
GREEN BUILDINGGreen Grows Up: The Many Faces of Today's LEED Homes
While LEED-certified homes have some common characteristics, the rest is up to your imagination
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNLet's Revisit Some Revolutionary Garden Thinking
One book changed the vision of postwar British garden design forever. See how it's influencing your garden today
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMESimple Pleasures: 10 Ideas for a Buy-Less Month
Save money without feeling pinched by taking advantage of free resources and your own ingenuity
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: 'When We Buy It, It's Forever'
This family is picky about what fills their vintage-chic Netherlands apartment, and the strategy works beautifully
Full Story
ARTLet's Put a Price on Art: Your Guide to Art Costs and Buying
We paint you a picture of what affects an artwork's price — plus a little-known way to take home what you love when it's beyond your budget
Full Story
GREEN BUILDINGChampioning the Solar House, From the 1930s to Today
Homes throughout history that have used the sun offer ideas for net-zero and passive homes of the present, in a new book by Anthony Denzer
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES10 Easy Fixes for That Nearly Perfect House You Want to Buy
Find out the common flaws that shouldn’t be deal-breakers — and a few that should give you pause
Full Story
FURNITUREWhat to Know Before Buying Bar Stools
Learn about bar stool types, heights and the one key feature that will make your life a whole lot easier
Full StorySponsored
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations
User