SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peyton_smith74

Large Boho Eclectic Living Room

Peyton Smith
6 years ago

There is so much I love about this living room - the brick fireplace, french doors, beautiful floors, and exposed beams. Yet at the same time it's been a design conundrum and furniture placement is difficult because of the multiple doorways, windows, walkways, and the awkward fireplace position. My fiance and I have finally landed on an arrangement that we really like. It includes a seating area next to the fireplace, a whimsical spot for our record player, and a desk for him to work and create in a central spot in our home.

My dilemma lies in the empty space in the center of the room. My instinct is to add a rug to cozy up the space and bridge the desk and record player console that are opposite each other, but will this feel ungrounded if it's in the center of the room with no furniture on top? Does the chandelier seem untethered to the room since it's above the empty space? Do we need to add more furniture facing the grey sectional in front of the french doors to balance the room? Or should I embrace the open flow and leave it as is? I'm not opposed to adding more furniture, but am not keen to remove any of the furniture that is currently in the room if possible. What would help this room to feel balanced and complete while preserving the bohemian, eclectic feel and practicality? Help!

Note: We plan to paint the fireplace white, add a wood mantel to the fireplace, and add an 8 ft runner in front of the french doors if that makes any difference. :)

Comments (10)