SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emoree

Please help me save my heirloom Christmas Cactus!

emoree
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

It’s hard to post these pictures, I have been so neglectful of this plant and didn’t realize how bad it was with everything going on with the house. It was blooming and then it started to look bad and I finally looked at it more closely and... it looks like this.

This is a small remnant of my grandmother’s mother’s once glorious Christmas cactus. I’ve had this for about 15 years. It’s probably more than 80 years old and was so happy at my Grandmother’s house. It has shrunk considerably since then.

It’s lived through so many moves with me, two of which were halfway across the country. It was so happy at our last place, it became perky and a nice spring green and had a few blooms. Then we moved here and I put it in a place where it got too much light and heat in the summer, and then it was much too cold (and still probably too much light).

I have now moved it into my bird room where it is a consistent 70 degrees, better humidity, and full spectrum fluorescent light but no natural light (North facing). The only place in my house with natural light that is safe from the cats is a sliding door that faces West and gets a tremendous amount of direct sun and is also very cold in the winter. I just installed plastic over the door which helps but it is still cold.

What can I do to help this plant recover? I see it has brand new tiny white air roots coming out of some of the worst looking segments. Should I take those segments off and lay them on some soil in hopes they will take root? Should I repot the whole thing? Fertilize? Are the purple lines caused by too much sun? Most of the segments feel brittle and dry.

Please help!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022