SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladynine

Help with my new Easter/Christmas Cactus

ladynine
18 years ago

I have just inherited an old cactus from my great aunt. She has had it forever and it seems in desperate need of repotting. It has just travelled about 5 hours to get to me in a nice warm car and was well looked after for the trip. However, I know just the moving alone, nevermind the actual trip and now the new home is rough on a plant so I will let it be for a couple of weeks before I repot it. Is it best to repot it in "cactus prepared soil" available at our local hardware? Is there such a thing as cactus fertilizers and should I use them or will my regular 20-20-20 miracle grow do the trick? Basically, how do I properly look after this huge heirloom beautiful plant? My mother said it didn't flower much this fall (2005) but was in full bloom the previous fall (2004). Anyhow, also, is it an Easter cactus? This big one has "rounded" scalloped edges whereas a clipping I got a few months back of pretty much the same plant but with "spiked" scalloped edges. A quick google image search says this big beauty is an Easter Cactus and the "spiked" one is the Christmas cactus. I'm sure there have been a kazillion debates on this one!! What do you pros think?

Thanks for all your help.

Jo

Image link:

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!