SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
windrider7

Problems with Easter Cacti and Christmas Cactus

WindRider7
12 years ago

Hi all!

I purchased a beautiful Christmas cactus about a month ago. I transferred it to a clay pot that was the same size as the plastic pot it came in, and added a little Miracle Gro cactus soil. It had several beautiful hot pink flowers on it when I bought it and was loaded with buds. However, within a couple weeks, all the remaining buds shriveled up and stopped developing. The plant is on a table in front of a large window and it gets nice indirect light. I've watered it just a few times. Didn't soak it. What did I do wrong??

I also bought two gorgeous Easter cacti, one with orange flowers and the other with red. Those also had beautiful flowers and lots of buds. The flowers are still on the plants but the buds are doing exactly the same thing as the Christmas Cactus -- they are drying up and falling off. I've kept the soil moist. Haven't overwatered. I noticed that the "pads" on part of the red Easter Cactus are a bit wrinkled. Does that mean anything? I am so disappointed. Never had these types of plants before and was looking forward to having lots of flowers. Did I just buy poor quality plants? Help?

Comments (16)