SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ravencajun

CROSS YOUR FINGERS!

We put a contract on a house today! Right here in our subdivision. Never flooded. Not in a flood zone. French country style house. It's in very good clean condition. It needs some updating but it is definitely usable as is now. It is a custom built home made for a custom builder for himself. Built in the late 60's. Has had some updating. Kitchen has been updated at some point.

Keep thinking positive thoughts please. We really want this house. The owner has already moved, he has been transferred already.

Comments (175)

• yeonassky
    6 years ago

Bless you. Exciting news. I hope that all goes well with the doctors and those crazy tests. If your doctor advises it it would be nice if you have a place to go home and recover in.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked yeonassky
  • ldstarr
    6 years ago

So glad that you'll be in your new home soon. Though all the testing prior to surgery is an aggravating bother, it will keep you safer. If I were you, and the doctor's concur that this is not life threatening, I'd delay the surgery until the end of February. That will allow you a short time to get settled into your new home and you'll then be able to recover from the surgery in comfort. ((((Hugs)))) for both you and Mr. Raven.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked ldstarr
  • sjerin
    6 years ago

I'm so excited for you to move to a new house, Raven, and am glad this one is finally working out for you! Though I am sorry to hear your heart tests didn't go well--am I reading that wrong? I can imagine you're under tons of stress right now, which I'm sure your doctor knows. I don't suppose you have the time to take a meditation class? I'm just a teeny bit worried for you.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked sjerin
  • Yayagal
    6 years ago

Your house is inviting and beautiful just from the outside, I can imagine how great it will be for all three of you. So happy for you.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked Yayagal
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 years ago

Will your new mattress be ready by the 9th?

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • Adella Bedella
    6 years ago

That will be a nice short closing. I hope all goes well.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked Adella Bedella
  • blfenton
    6 years ago

You got the house! How exciting! And a beautiful house it is. I am so glad for the three of you. I can't wait till you're in and unpacked and stress free.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked blfenton
  • Jasdip
    6 years ago

I'm concerned when you said that the tests didn't go well. I agree with the others, that if you can possibly put off the surgery (unless it's vital, or course) so that you can recupe in your comfortable, spacious new digs.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked Jasdip
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have decided to put the surgery on hold until after the closing. My hernia has happened about a year ago during a major coughing spell. It has remained small and unchanged until recently and it tore larger. My doctor wants to get it fixed before it gets worse. However it's not life threatening now. And I think the added stress is making everything worse. Which is probably what contributed to the heart tests not being good. Some days it just seems like the plate is just a little too full you know. And I don't like being in a mood that is not positive. It is not healthy and not how I want to feel.

On to better things. I found this fabulous set of leather furniture listed on my nextdoor forum. We went to see it tonight. The absolute nicest couple own it. We talked a while about the flood and our situation. We are definitely getting the furniture and they are going to help my husband get it moved over here. We will store it in the house here till closing. It's so comfortable and will be an excellent nap spot.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It's a beautiful color and distressed. They just bought it and she changed her mind about what she wanted. It is in perfect condition. I didn't want to get off of it.

• yeonassky
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

If the doctor allows it I don't see any reason why you can't delay it. Please try not to have more stress, haha. I know life can be stressful. I don't know, meditate lots? Or your version thereof.

So glad for you re the new house. And you get to furnish it too! I love leather furniture. It looks great. :-).

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    6 years ago

The furniture looks so comfy! The bigger one of our sofas now has recliners on both ends, so it has these kind of bumps in the middle. Yours look ready to take a nice nap. Really happy for you. Now you just have to take it easy and relax a bit.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
  • greenshoekitty
    6 years ago

Wow, nice set. Can’t wait till you get to move into that new house. And as my Cajun friend ( in Enuice La) would say “ take care my friend and rest when you can and let your worry’s float away”.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked greenshoekitty
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    6 years ago

greenshoe we had a house picked out to go look at in Eunice. It's such a neat fun town. There are some great RV parks there with live zydeco bands and dancing. I have family and friends there. I like that idea a lot! Let it float away.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    6 years ago

By the way 2 full inspections have been done on the house. We need to get a new survey done to mark property lines. Pretty much everything is done. His relocation company is involved so they have had some requirements we did not know about, not anything out of the ordinary though. In fact they were requiring him to complete a list they had come up with after they had their own inspection. They weren't going to cover him until he had everything done they wanted him to do. So that was actually to our benefit.

• Lindsey_CA
    6 years ago

This is wonderful!

And, I agree with everyone who has said that you should postpone the surgery, and I'm glad to see you've decided the same thing. Surgery is stressful under the best of circumstances, and being in the RV, no matter how nice and cozy it is, would not be as restful as being in a home.

Just be careful to not do anything strenuous at all during the move-in. You need to baby yourself before and after the surgery.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked Lindsey_CA
  • sleeperblues
    6 years ago

What a beautiful house. I think the mirrors in the dining rooms would have to go, for me at least. I'd lose my appetite if I had to look at myself in the morning, ha ha.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked sleeperblues
  • aok27502
    6 years ago

This house is absolutely meant to be. Everything is falling into place, your stress must be melting away! How exciting!

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked aok27502
  • lindaohnowga
    6 years ago

I'm so glad that your surgery "can" be postponed until after you get moved in to your new home without it being life-threatening. Your new furniture is just beautiful and looks so soft and comfy.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked lindaohnowga
  • greenshoekitty
    6 years ago

Raven, I am sure your friend or family may know my friend as she is Marc Savoy's sister, and lives next door to him and some of his kids. We have been pen pals for about 7 years now.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh yeah Marc is amazing! Cool.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Woo Hoo!! We just accepted a contract on the sale of our house!! This should work out very well. We close on the new house on Feb 9th and are setting up closing for 30 days on our house. We should be able to move our stuff to the new house from the old house in plenty of time. Just may need to find a storage lot for Freedom till we can get the driveway widened. That will be a priority.

Of course we can't get the kind of money we would like to get because it has a multiple flood rating. But we are getting the highest price for a flood house in our area that has sold. And they are paying all costs. We just pay our agent.

Maybe maybe the black cloud is getting a little bit grayer, not totally black! Looking forward to the beautiful blue skies again. In life and in the weather lol.

I will probably sell my countertops and just keep my rolling island with its top to use in the new house. I would gladly sell them to the person that is going to be redoing our house it sure would save them a bunch of money.

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Congratulations Raven! I can just imagine how much lighter your load must feel now! You know how the saying goes...when one door closes another opens, but sometimes it’s hexx in the hallway! I hope your personal flood troubles are soon behind you for good.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked OutsidePlaying
  • greenshoekitty
    6 years ago

Yea! I do think the sun is coming out for you. the buyer would be dumb not to buy the counter tops. the weight of all things is getting lighter for you. This is GOOD.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked greenshoekitty
  • sjerin
    6 years ago

Oh, how wonderful for you! I'm soooo glad everything is falling into place for you and Mr. Raven. :)

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked sjerin
  • Rusty
    6 years ago

Raven, I am sooooooooooooooo happy for y'all! ! !

Rusty

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked Rusty
  • lindaohnowga
    6 years ago

Your house sold!!! Oh what wonderful news. Everything is looking UP for you now and that black cloud is going to go away. Congrats Raven.

• Adella Bedella
    6 years ago

I'm happy for you that you are able to sell.

I don't really understand why someone would want to buy unless the house is a tear down or can be raised.

• yeonassky
    6 years ago

Congratulations. So glad a sale is in the works That is wonderful news. And great that you want to help them out. Sometimes it seems like you're at a standstill even if the world is just getting ready to move you forward. You are definitely moving forward. :-). In a good way.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Usually investors that will resell or fix for rentals or flip. People are willing to risk it. I just was not willing to risk it another time. For the price, peanuts really, you are getting a house you could never afford otherwise. I am not one of those people. Been there done that !!

And who knows they may tear down and build higher. They will have to buy big flood insurance though. It is fully disclosed and they see what they are getting so no surprises. AS IS.

• aok27502
    6 years ago

Excellent news! No matter what they want to do with the house, it's no longer your problem. It sounds like things are working out perfectly, and by the end of February, you should be walking on air.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked aok27502
  • tami_ohio
    6 years ago

Fantastic!

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked tami_ohio
  • gmatx zone 6
    6 years ago

Raven, what "stuff" do you have that you will need to move from the old house to the new house? i was under the impression you and your DH lost everything in this last flood. Did I misread your posts?

Be sure and post new pictures when you get all moved and your personal touch put to things to make the new house yours and your DHs! And, it's great that you two have a contract on the old house. Very happy for you two.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked gmatx zone 6
  • mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Great news! Just think of the fun your going to have making the new house a home. I'm very happy for you Raven.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked mamapinky0
  • Adella Bedella
    6 years ago

I know you've done what you should Raven. I just think it's nuts that someone would possibly rehab the house at this point. I was just looking, the 2015 and 2016 floods were considered 500 year floods I think. Maybe the flippers think those were just a fluke. Harvey was an 800 year flood that hopefully won't be exceeded.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I think that has a lot to do with it adellabedella. Harvey was a flood of biblical proportion as they kept saying on the news. Most are not counting it in the usual flood stats. We lived here from 2009 till 2016 with no sign of flooding. Previous owners lived from 1972 when it was built. I think it might have gotten some water during Alison but that was similar to Harvey, stalled right over us and dumped rain. We didn't live in the area then. I love the house and lot so much I did consider trying it again. Our lot itself is worth it. Almost an acre of heavily treed gorgeous property in a very quiet subdivision minutes from everything. Just the property is worth buying and building elevated. We just couldn't make it work for us unfortunately. I am glad we were able to get in the same area. The new house does not have as many gorgeous trees.

Gmatx the furniture and stuff we have been buying and collecting we have been storing it in our house here. So all of it has to be moved. My husband has his motorcycles in the garage still he just can't seem to let them go. Plus he kept some of the flooded tools and stuff in the garage that he hopes to work on and possibly get to work again like the lawn mower. From the house itself there's nothing except my rolling island that was saved.

I have little by little been gathering a few pieces of furniture so when we move it won't be to an empty house.

• Summer
    6 years ago

Raven - I am so happy to hear that things are falling into place so nicely for you. It's about time........

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked Summer
  • lindaohnowga
    6 years ago

In one of the photos I saw some patio furniture. Does that come with the new house?

• Yayagal
    6 years ago

All I can say is "Oh happy day".

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked Yayagal
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes Linda, there's a set of white wrought-iron on the patio and a wrought-iron bench under a tree in the back yard. I think some of our outdoor furniture can be saved. There's no cushions on them just metal and mesh seating they can be power washed. I have an all metal mesh glider in my front yard under the oak trees and it's OK too. I should have a nice selection of outdoor stuff.

The previous owner left a very nice set of wood swivel bar stools that go in the kitchen bar.

Is really too bad his real estate agent told him to just throw out all that the furniture. It was the furniture that came with the house when he bought it and looked good from the pictures I saw. She was throwing everything out. There's a custom made cushion that goes on the window seat, she threw it in the floor of the garage. I saw it and said omg that's the custom cushion why is it in here. She said well I was going to throw it out. I asked her to please not throw anything else out because we could use it. It could be recovered but having a new one made would be much more expensive. There was a gorgeous rug she had thrown in the garage too. She was going to throw out those bar stools. With so many people needing furniture and stuff around here and she is throwing out perfectly fine stuff. She said well it was a floral sofa who would want that? Um some one that has No sofa. And it was a pretty floral.

He still has 2 antique cars in the garage he has to get shipped. I am surprised she didn't throw those out too.

I have several of my big pottery and ceramic pots in my atrium that I can use on the new patio and sunroom. I was very happy they were not thrown away during the cleanup. I will have to power wash them with bleach. It will be so nice to have a place for me to container garden still.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The bar stools 2 of them

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    6 years ago

A wonderful lady that helped with the cleanup of the flood called me and said she was giving me some of her furniture. This solid cherry dining table and chairs.

She said she had some other stuff too.

Yesterday My husband and our neighbor picked up the leather living room furniture we bought and it is absolutely fantastic. That was a very good find and a great price.

• happy2b…gw
    6 years ago

It sounds like you are moving yourself in and the decorating wheels are turning in your mind. That is definitely a sign that you are moving forward and putting all the awful occurrences behind you. I am not surprised; you strike me as a hopeful resilient person.

Lucky you. I would take that dining set in a NY minute.

I agree with you about the former owner. She does not have a clue about what has been going on around her.

About your former dining chairs. Have you thought about searching a photo of one to locate another?

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked happy2b…gw
  • lindaohnowga
    6 years ago

I'm sure glad you stopped that real estate woman from throwing everything out. Even if there are things that "you" can't use, somebody would be thankful to have them. That dining set is beautiful. And you have that beautiful livingroom furniture. What about the bedrooms? I'm glad your kitchen island on wheels and your planter pots can go with you.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I bought 2of these chairs and I got this gray couch, no pillows or ottomans for the formal living room.

I need a colorful rug with gray, brown and blue to finish it off.

My friend with the furniture store that I get my mattresses from is giving me a huge discount on a complete bedroom suite for the master. At his cost. So many of the furniture stores here are trying to help out the flood victims.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Raven, I really like the sofa. Too many people are trying to steer away from grey now days but I think its a timeless and classy color.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked mamapinky0
  • lindaohnowga
    6 years ago

I'm so glad you will be getting the new bedroom furniture. I really like that gray couch. It looks quite comfy.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    6 years ago

Sounds like everything is falling into place, raven. I'm happy for you!

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked moonie_57 (8 NC)
  • marilyn_c
    6 years ago

I'm so glad that everything seems to be coming together for you, Raven. I love the new furniture! Especially that leather couch, love seat, and chair. Glad you were able to keep the woman from throwing away the other things that went with your house. I agree...after so many people lost everything they own in the flood, it is a shame to let go to waste perfectly nice furniture.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked marilyn_c