SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wanttoretire

Dilemma: what trees for narrow space between my house and neighbor's?

West_Coaster
6 years ago

I have a dilemma. Across the back of our yard, I have a narrow area (primary depth is about 6', tho on the ends it is maybe 10'). About 25 yrs ago, I planted one flowering crabapple, 3 flowering pear trees, and a 2 flowering apricots to serve as some screening between our house and the neighbors behind whose house is elevated to ours.

Darned if those trees didn't grow up.

I never have been particularly fond of the shape/structure of the crabapple. The pears got much too large for the area and are now at least 30' tall; they have dropped 2 or 3 large primary branches over the last 5 yrs or so, plus this fall I promised myself it would be the last fall I have to deal with the leaves. The roots produce tons of shoots, and my neighbor hates all the leaves they drop on his yard. For being non-fruit bearing, the 2 apricots produce hundreds of walnut sized apricots.

A couple of pics are below. The rhodies may very well also have to go.

I want to replace them all. The question is -- with what? I am considering the standby here in Oregon (Portland area) -- the boring columnar arborvitae. I specifically stayed away from those 25 yrs ago b/c it is what everyone had. Now I think I know why. However, while I may end up there, I definitely want to consider something more interesting.

So I need suggestions. Here is my list of characteristics I would like to have, realizing not all can be achieved:

1. A branch structure with "controlled symmetry" -- much more columnar than spreading.

2. Root structure that isn't too crazy or aggressive - it is really hard to plant anything new anywhere across the wall b/c the whole area is a tangle of big roots. A few years back I was repairing a sprinkler pipe up there and discovered one of the pear roots had grown around the pipe!

3. Unfortunately, likely a non-deciduous; tho if we were talking pretty small leaves i might consider it. The pears are so big now, the leaves completely blanket across the top of the wall, virtually all of my yard, and much of my neighbor's yard (you can see the leaves have been raked in a portion of my yard, but not across the top of the wall - a project for another Saturday!)

4. Since I might consider something with small leaves it would have to be flowering.

5. Nothing that gets too big -- moderately growing, 15-25 ft mature height.

6. The exposure is south facing with plenty of sun.

7. I am not opposed to a hedge, tho please don't suggest laurel. Way too aggressive grower and height hard to maintain.

Impossible wish list? Appreciate any and all suggestions. thanks!

Comments (19)