SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shaxhome

Too Hot to Eat!

shaxhome (Frog Rock, Australia 9b)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

A couple of years ago I bought a seedling of Trinidad Scorpion Butch T, claimed then to be the world's hottest. (I know that every year another "world's hottest" appears, but when you're talking over a million on the Scoville scale, I'd defy anyone to tell the difference.)

It sat in the ground and just survived, but didn't grow. But it's the 1st chilli plant I've ever had over-winter here through heavy frosts. I also grow birds eyes, Habaneros and Cayennes.

This summer (now, here in Oz), we've had massive heat waves and drought. I've lost all my tomatoes, onions, carrots, chard, garlic, zucchinis and probably 100 established old trees on my 100 acre property. Regularly 100F+ and no rain for months.

BUT, the Trinidad bush has taken off! I've picked a couple of pints already, and it's throwing out more fruit and flowers every day.

I lived in India and Bhutan for 5 years and am happy to eat the hottest curry available. I eat chillies almost every day. When I cook my own chicken curry, I use a whole chicken, couple of kilos of tomatoes, plus spuds, onions, garlic, ginger, Indian spices etc, plus around 12 birds eye chillies. And liquids to fill the large 10 litre (20 pint+) pot.

I recently made this curry and instead of the birds eyes, used just one quarter of one Trinidad chilli, thinking I'd start small and add more to suit my taste.

At first mouthful, my lips went numb. Then my throat caught fire. Then sweat from my forehead and even from the top of my head. My heart race increased so alarmingly that I lay down until it passed.

If you've read this far, thanks, because I have a simple question.

What on earth do I do with these huge quantities of Trinidads? I've thought of drying/dehydrating then grinding into a powder, but even doing that I'll have far more than a lifetime supply, enough to hand down for generations!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH