SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantlaw

Problem with potted Meyer Lemon from seed

Nick O
6 years ago

I've been growing two Meyer lemon trees from seed for about the past year. One has been more successful than the other, growing a bunch of leaves. However, recently a couple of the leaves have started to turn yellow and curl downward like you can see here on the lower left:

Another leaf has also started to curl and appears like something else might be wrong with it too, with a somewhat brown tinge near the tip.

I'm worried there may be a pest, because I noticed a lot of tiny white larvae on the soil when I watered (but also thought they may just be springtails from some other posts I've read). You can see some of them collected in a little pocket of pooled water when I last watered. It's hard to see them clearly, but they were moving around in the water.

The other reason I was worried about a potential pest is that the other "tree," which hasn't done quite as well, has only two leaves that both have browning and what appears to be notches in the leaves.

I keep the two trees fairly close together on a south-facing windowsill, which is kept fairly warm overall (though I've noticed the side of the pot facing outside does get a little colder because of the window, so I try to rotate them). I do live in Massachusetts, so daylight this time of year isn't super long or powerful.

Any thoughts? A pest? Or just not watering properly (too much?)? Not enough light?

Comments (11)