SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annegriet

AXA for 403b?

Annegriet
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Anybody use this company? If so, are you happy? Can you tell me about the fees. I am thinking about 403b with this company. Thank you.

Comments (5)

• User
    6 years ago

Are you speaking English?? lol

Annegriet thanked User
  • Elizabeth
    6 years ago

I have never used this company. Perhaps the nice folks over on the retirement forum could tell you something about this?

Annegriet thanked Elizabeth
  • ldstarr
    6 years ago

Am I correct that a 403(b) is a retirement plan for non-profits? If so, are you the individual that will be setting up the plan or moving it from another servicing/investment company? As I understand them, an individual can not have a 403(b).

In my former life, I selected and ran the 401(k) plan for a small company. The things I can tell you are:

1. Check that they offer a wide variety of investment options and that those options have reasonable fees. You can check fees vs performance on Morningstar. Insurance annuities can be a acceptable, but rarely will be acceptable without other investment options.
    2. Some individuals will vastly prefer some type of investment mechanism that provides an age appropriate mix of assets automatically. For Fidelity Investments, those are the "Freedom Funds".
    3. Look for hidden fees such as fees to receive paper statements vs paperless statements, low balance fees, fees to take a loan/withdrawal etc. Those are fees that quickly sour would be participants. Remember both the sponsoring entity (non-profit organization) and the individual participants are subject to various fees.
    4. Does the company offer the Annual Testing/Form 5500 support or will you need to pay a separate entity to perform those tasks.

Remember, you a selecting a plan that must provide a good value to your participants. You have legal fiduciary responsibility to do so.

If you'd like any other info I can provide, just ask. I'm happy to share my knowledge.

Annegriet thanked ldstarr
  • Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

If you have freedom of choice for your 403 (b) plan, I would avoid insurance companies like AXA and lean more in the Fidelity or Vanguard direction. Especially with Vanguard, you know that fees and charges will be low. All the large fund managers have forms and plans ready to implement with a minimum of cost and all offer essentially the same investment choices. Insurance sponsors like AXA might want to creep in things like annuities, which are not the best choice for qualified retirement plan investments.

Annegriet thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • wordie89
    6 years ago

Maybe this article will help. The insurance companies make more money from annuities and that's what they push. OTOH some agents feel that if it weren't for them public employees might not do any saving/ investing. I am guilty of spending more time researching TV's or cell phones than retirement investing. Really must change thathttps://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/10/27/your-money/403-b-retirement-plans-teachers-brokers-fees.html?_r=0&referer=

Annegriet thanked wordie89
Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio