SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
backyardfeast

Help with farmhouse kitchen--Mexican tile backsplash?

6 years ago

Hi all, you were so helpful with our kitchen layout design last year, I'm hoping to get some help with a unique backsplash dilemma.

Our beautiful farmhouse kitchen is done in a warm cream, BM Subtle, with local maple countertops and a hammered copper range hood. The walls aren't a BM or SW colour, but they are a strong, warm greige that works well with all the cream. The trim is in the same colour as the cabinets.

My mom (who owns the house with us) spends much of the year in Mexico, and is going to buy backsplash tile there. She loves the Mexican tile rustic look, and I can see that it can skew French farmhouse and could add a little sophisticated colour splash. The kitchen is completely open to the dining and living rooms, which have antique cherry furnishings and cream and dark red/gold accents. The island pendants match the oil rubbed bronze hardware but are copper underneath to match the range hood. The rest of the light fixtures are oil-rubbed bronze with brass or gold; throw pillows on the cream furniture are brick red/gold tapestry (I can add picks of the rest of the space if that's helpful).

So the colours are pretty much cream and copper/brick reds, but we also have a thread of dark blue here and there. We don't have any art up on the walls yet; I'm actually struggling a little with other colour options to bring in! But that's another discussion.

What I'm hoping you all can help with is some idea of how we might lay out the Mexican tiles to work in this setting. We'll go mostly with a cream square tile, but how can we incorporate some of the patterned ones my Mom loves? I'm attaching a pic of part of our kitchen and the other has a photo of a tile selection she took, where I've circled the ones I think might work. Any thoughts on how we might lay these out? Or which one(s) to choose? I need some help visualizing! :)

Thank you!

Comments (20)