SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
becky_lucas1675

inconsistent counter top thickness? what’s acceptable?

Belu Garcia
6 years ago
We are adding cabinets and countertop to our breakfast room area connected to the kitchen. We are on a budget so decided to try and match the existing cabinets and countertops. We requested Luna pearl granite counter tops (to match existing) and the company came and measured and matched everything up. Today was installation day and the stone color feels way lighter and of a cooler shade than we expected and the countertop thickness is 1/8 inch thicker than the existing cabinets. Even though there is separation between the new and old cabinets, the difference is very noticeable to me.

Now to my question, the contractor is telling us that stones are different and we can’t expect it to be exact, variations are to be expected. I can accept that for the color but the counter thickness seems like something they could have control over. Am I being too difficult or is the contractor trying to slide a mistake past me?

In the photos to the left of the pantry is the new portion.

I kind of feel like we are being sold an imperfect countertop and the flaws explained away because we are inexperienced in this process. Any advice on what is reasonable here is greatly appreciated.

Comments (8)