SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_509552443

Quartz Countertop Mitered Waterfall Edge - Acceptable or Poor Job?

M P
3 years ago

Just had my quartz countertops installed - had the edges done in a mitered edge so they appear 2" thick (slab is 3cm). I am not happy at all with the seam between the horizontal and vertical pieces - the gap in the miter is 1/16" (larger in some areas), and the fabricator clearly just used a bright white epoxy right out of the tube to fill the space...no attempt to mix to get even reasonably close to the actual color of the stone. On top of that, there are areas where the epoxy has already discolored and turned orange, seems to be debris in the epoxy seam, and is missing chunks/not smooth. Installer tried to tell me that the gap is normal because "stone flexes as it is cut" and that the discoloration is from the stone itself leeching into the epoxy. They have scraped out parts of the epoxy and rebuffed it twice already and, in my opinion, it still looks terrible. GC is now offering to either waive the cost of the counters or replace them completely. In my experience, the point of mitered edges is to have the appearence of one large piece of stone with a barely-visible hairline seam. Is this a bad job or am I being too much of a perfectionist? Thanks!

Comments (14)