SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_c

Emery update and pics....for Rusty

marilyn_c
6 years ago

Rusty asked about my horses. All are doing fine, except for Emery. I had posted a couple of pictures of him not long ago, but the post fell off the page and I guess it fell off of the forum completely, because I went back 18 pages and I couldn't find it. It wasn't that long ago either. Emery is the old horse that I got because he was abandoned by his owner. He had been starved for years. Sometimes she would feed him, and sometimes not. A rescue came and started bringing him feed, but they eventually quit. The hurricane came and his owner moved away, leaving him behind. I was in Tractor Supply and two ladies came in and were asking what to feed an old, skinny horse...and the person who worked there told them "sweet feed". I heard it and since I have quite a bit experience feeding old horses, I said, "No....feed him a senior feed." In talking to the two ladies, I found out they had tried to get help for him but no one had showed up so far. I said I would come and look at him....I did, and I couldn't leave him there. He had no water. Nothing to eat. The only water was about a quart in an old kiddie pool full of leaves and sticks. I went to get my trailer and he wouldn't load. I didn't want him knocked around and he wasn't having anything to do with it, so I walked him home. Twelve miles. Not a great thing to do for a horse in his condition but we stopped often and rested and I gave him hay and water. It took us two days.

This is Emery when I got him.

This is Emery two months later.

He still has a long way to go, but he is improving. Then he hurt his leg. I think Snoop his companion.....an old horse that was given to me by the county....also abandoned, but this time at the auction because he didn't have a coggins test and he was 30 years old and skinny and no one wanted to pay $35 or 40 for the test when he wouldn't bring that much at the auction. He was there when I went to get the donkeys, and was also going to be put down and I asked if I could have him as a companion to Emery. Anyway, I think Snoop either stepped on him when he was laying down or kicked him. Emery hadn't seen another horse in years and he was so happy to have Snoop there and Snoop was rather indifferent towards Emery. They got along but Snoop is a lot bigger and pushy. So, his leg healed up after a couple of weeks. Then about six days ago, he got hurt again. It is worse this time. So he is on pain and anti inflammatory meds and I put him in a stall. I plan to keep him stalled for several weeks, if not the rest of the winter. When he is able, I will let him out to exercise but I am going to be very careful with him around Snoop. Right now they can visit over the stall partition. Snoop, who is pretty ornery to him, missed him right away. The old goat!

I have had many horses...around 70, as close as I can remember, but Emery is special to me and I really did want to give him a better life. I don't want to have to put him down, and as long as he can put weight on it, and his appetite is good, I have hope for him. If you don't mind, please hold a good thought for him. He has been mistreated for so long, and I would like for him to enjoy what is left of his life.

Comments (37)