SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nay1126

floor stains, finishes, and cabinet matching!

6 years ago

I've got some stains down (supposedly with a coat of satin water-based Loba) that I'm mulling over for bleached walnut cabs. I'm not sure I have a winner yet, but am pleased that I am able to get a good, non-clashing tone with rift sawn red oak floors (crisis averted). Before adding one or 2 more stain options, I am having trouble with whether to go lighter or darker on the floor. I think a mild contrast one way or the other is good -- can't go super light (like I'd want) bc the floors will look pink with the red oak and don't want really dark floors for maintenance. It's a modern-y kitchen that I'm balancing with my old (but transitionally updated) home, fwiw. Anyone care to weigh in?

Also, do any professionals on have advice re: whether to use a Loba water poly or Bona Traffic HD? My contractor brought Loba but I had planned on the Bona. He's ok with Bona, but usually uses Loba.

Thank so much for any input!

(Note: there is a touch or more of gray in all of these stains bc the cabinets have it -- any pure colors make the cabs look dusty and they clash. I have a dark walnut, medium brown, and special walnut in the mix here for most. And, again, not sure any of these is the one but curious which path to go down.)

Comments (9)